Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly aquired 993 stumbles, bucks, and backfires under load at half to full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Pull the dizzy caps and have a look for carbon tracking. At a minimum, clean the insides of the caps. I doubt its your problem, but worth a look.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:08 AM
midnite993
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not tested the TPS or MAF yet...will do so after the fuel filter job. I also ordered new caps and rotors which the car also needs anyway.

Thanks for the advice so far...wish me luck! The Sierras are calling me...anyone drive highway 190 before? I'd hate to have to drive this road in my wife's ratty old '97 Civic:

http://www.mighty190.com/

Last edited by midnite993; 08-13-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:43 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

To me it looks like it is a fuel problem. You said the fuel pump was changed at the dealer, problem number 1.
When installing a new fuel pump, a new retaining valve should be installed. It is a small valve which is located
between the pump and the fuel out hose. The majority of the dealers do not change the valve. If you buy the pump from Bosch, the valve is included,
from Porsche, not. I have a new one I can send you if need be (free)
Then the fuel regulator might be the culprit.
New pump but no new filter? curious. AT THE DEALER????? convinces me more 'bout the retaining pressure valve.
Start with changing the filter, and then the fuel regulator on top of injector 3.
The retaining valve needs removing the pump out again.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:10 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm....a MY95...has the wiring harness been replaced under recall? My euro-spec MY94 993 had stumbling, surging, backfiring and startup issues. Harness was totally fried when they pulled it out.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

+1 here for the cat being clogged. Mine was just replaced due to stalling and not revving past 5400 rpm.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by geolab
When installing a new fuel pump, a new retaining valve should be installed.
This may help his long starting problem but might not help the stumbling troubles.

I didnt realize the valve was included with the pump as sourced from Bosch. Good to know!! Thanks Geolab!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Did not read every post here, but try the MAFs. That's the classic symptom when the MAFs failed in my M5. Good luck.

CP
Old 04-16-2008, 12:34 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CP
Did not read every post here, but try the MAFs. That's the classic symptom when the MAFs failed in my M5. Good luck.

CP
Does the car have a K&N by any chance? If so your MAF may be toast. Either way, at least try a good dose of CRC MAF spray on it, couldn't hurt.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
This may help his long starting problem but might not help the stumbling troubles.

I didnt realize the valve was included with the pump as sourced from Bosch. Good to know!! Thanks Geolab!
That is exactly why I have a new one. I bought it from the dealer @ 40 euros before
my Bosch pump arrived. When I received the bosch pump it had the valved installed already.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely test the fuel pressure and fuel flow rate. Both procedures are described in the shop manuals.

I'm betting a cat issue, though.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:06 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

What eliminates the cat for me is :
1- it revs on neutral to redline, (same amount of exhaust airflow under/without load)
2- it is worse when cold
And worse when cold could be fuel pressure, with pressure build up later when hot, midnite says it turns from the first try.
I hope we find the culprit soon
Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Actually geolab think about this. It's tough to apply full throttle exactly at redline while in neutral. The engine would blow right past redline violently. You can apply throttle gradually to get to redline or you can floor it well before redline, but cannot maintain it there.

However, under load, as in my car, I couldn't get it past 5500 rpm even with full throttle application. Actually at 5500 rpm it would still accelerate but in barely noticeable increments even with full throttle.

Also, when cold, the engine has to fight more friction due to thicker oil, less fuel flow, etc. which would make it even more difficult to get to redline. I say do the pressure test on the cat, or just remove it.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:26 PM
midnite993
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, did the cat pressure test (no increase) and the fuel flow test, and everything seems to be working fine. It filled my 1 quart container in about 30 seconds. Is there such a thing as too much fuel pressure? Would that check valve described above (that gets left out at the dealer) cause this?

Next I will try to clean the MAF sensor. Do I need to remove the sensor to clean it, or can I just spray the cleaner through the MAF intake behind the air filter?

The car had a K&N filter on it which I recently replaced with a stock paper filter, in fact just before this problem occured. Thinking this might have caused the problem, I ran the car again with the K&N and the car ran with the same problem.

Will let you know about the MAF...
Old 04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Remove the MAF -- its not too hard to do -- you'll need to loosen a hose clamp way back behind the ISV valve to get the MAF tube free from the intake. This is after the airbox is removed.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going back to the simple things...

Did the problem occur immediately after the air filter change? If so, I would do two things:

1. Remove the filter and drive the car to see if the problem persists. I have read of filters "collapsing" under vacuum pressure from the intake manifold. I think this was mostly limited to aftermarket airboxes without sufficient clamping force to hold the filter in place. This would potentially cause the stumbling/loss of power.

2. Check all hoses/wiring going to the MAF and surrounding area to ensure something wasn't bumped or pulled loose during the filter install. If the car ran well after the change and then developed the problem shortly after, this could still be the problem.

Quick Reply: Newly aquired 993 stumbles, bucks, and backfires under load at half to full throttle