Sound of 993TT vs. 993NA cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound of 993TT vs. 993NA cars

Guys,

I love the sound of the NA 993 cars. With the right equipment, (such as for example the following combo: DACH cat X-Pipes, RSR's, Motorsound airbox and big ovals) these normally aspirated cars really gives you everything that you ever wanted soundwise when you hit the high revs.

My question is, feeling the itch for my dream car (993TT), how big is the difference soundwize? Is it really a step down from the NA cars?

I know Chris at DACH is working on pipes for the turbo.. Maybe some TT owners can chime in and share their experiences with their respective setups. For me, the car has to be street legal (e.g have cats) and preferably be quite modest at idle and when cruising in town while at the same time loud when you hit the high revs. Just as with the NA 993s. Is this possible to achieve? Is the difference in sound really that noticeable? Should the sound itself stop anyone from getting a TT vs. a NA 993? Just thinking out loud here, any thoughts appreciated. I'm still uneducated on this topic. TIA
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound is less impressive than the NA cars. The only modified TT I've heard in person is a car with upgraded turbos, Fabspeed cat delete, and Fabspeed mufflers. I love the sound, but it's got nothing on a Dach/RSR NA car.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 PM
V
Drifting

Thx Charlie, anyone else??
Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Nothing sounds better on a NA than Fabspeed Supercups...nothing.

Of course, this, and any other opinion you get, are just that, opinions.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

I've seen a black 993 Turbo at Summit Point that sounded real impressive. Mark may know the car...hmm them again next to Mark's car it wasn't all that. lol
Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

You can always do like Steve and not run any mufflers.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I have Fabspeed cat bypasses and stock mufflers on my NA and it sounds and smells great. It has a sweet spot at around 3K RPM that sounds great under bridges and around town. I have stock cats with Fabspeed mufflers on my TT and it doesn't sound much different than stock. At idle is the only time that I can even hear a difference. Once I'm rolling the turbos tend to shut the motor up. I would rather drive my NA much more than my TT. It is a much more involving (but slower) ride. You have to drive the car. The TT kind of drives itself.........
Old 04-01-2008, 07:04 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Viggo, you cannot get the same sweet noise out of the turbos as you can with the NA cars.
The "rotary mufflers" ruin all of the good sound when they spin up...
You can go with bypasses but you have to like the volume. There is some hope.... maybe something can be done with the mufflers to improve the sound but there is no way to get the same note.
Turbos... it's a love hate thing. Mostly love
I still plan on playing with the mufflers a bit (with FisterD's help) to see if it can be made to sound better.

I am hoping that Steve's (Rufus) center exit exh., no mufflers, just cats, sounds good but not too loud. More pipe instead of mufflers could be just the ticket. It certainly looks hot. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947
Old 04-01-2008, 07:44 PM
mpgandco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viggo
As you know I just sold my C2s,which has RSR's and MotorSound AirBox cover.At about 4 grand the VarioRam kicked in making a great "Race" Car sound.
The Turbo doesn't even come close to making this greatt sound.I have a Fab Speed Exhaust on the Turbo.I do miss the sound of the NA sucking air but when I put my foot into the Turbo and get up on Boost that all goes away
If I had to do over again,I would have kept the C2S and bought the Turbo as well.Two totally different cars.I should of listened to what a fellow Rennlister said"keep both"
Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are 2 version of the RSR muffler for the TT, one just slightly louder at idle and quiets down when the turbo spools up, another version that's just loud all the way around, louder than the NA RSR muffler.

A couple notches quieter than the Fabspeed straight elbow pipe, but still loud enough to **** off your neighbors in the morning.

Personally I don't think either version sounds as good as the RSR for the NA car.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

And straight pipes are even sweeter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8saDjKGS9_M

I think I'd give up a little noise tho for the boost!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:38 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

AWE cat & muffler bypasses on a TT is mad loud.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
There are 2 version of the RSR muffler for the TT, one just slightly louder at idle and quiets down when the turbo spools up, another version that's just loud all the way around, louder than the NA RSR muffler.

A couple notches quieter than the Fabspeed straight elbow pipe, but still loud enough to **** off your neighbors in the morning.

Personally I don't think either version sounds as good as the RSR for the NA car.
Robin - is there a sound clip or video available of the TT RSRs?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:50 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Robin - is there a sound clip or video available of the TT RSRs?
I have the RSR loud version. At idle, it is a tick quieter than bypasses. At WOT, it is a tick quieter than bypasses. The gurgling, burbling sound is not there as with the bypasses.

However, it doesn't sound remotely as sweet as the RSR's I had on my C4S. The sound is just not the same.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Here's a sound clip of my TT with 100 cell Cats and Gemballa Sport Mufflers (bigger pipes than OEM). The cans were cut open to do the RSR procedure to it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Wafujing BTW, you can fast forward after 30 seconds into the sound clip to about 2 min 15 secs... that's when you'll hear the engine revs.

Now, I'm running GHL bypasses with the same cats and it's a tad louder but lighter and I don't think I'll go back.

Quick Reply: Sound of 993TT vs. 993NA cars