Sponsored by:

Installed standalone on '94 993 Carrera 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:51 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Installed standalone on '94 993 Carrera 2

I performed this job for my friend's car, TPC supercharger equipped 993 Carrera.
I was really dissapointed with the fuel management solution from TPC. For that cost of the kit (it was installed few years ago) and the cost of the car, they shouldn't use 7th injector and piggyback computer.

I'd expect at least bigger injectors and a computer chip (at least pre-96 models) and replacement ECU for additional cost for later models.

*end rant*

Anyway, here's what I did.

1. Ordered VEMS v. 3.3 board and made Plug'n'Play ECU using Motronic 55pin connector from the same VEMS webshop.
After few weeks of messing with schematics I started the car with stock igntion and fuel.
Installed additional wires for ground (for coil-packs that needed it, stock GND wires are NOT sufficient), WBo2 (integrated to ECU), coil-packs and misc. outputs. Stock wiring harness left untouched.

2. Removed distributors and stock injectors and installed two Bosch 2x3 coilpacks and 630 cc Siemens Deka injectors instead.

3. Had a friend who works for the local sports-car manufacturing company (Lotus 7 replicas) made a custom intercooler of a new core.
It required GT2 rear wing and new outlet flange for supercharger.

Right now car is in the finishing stage (minor things to do) and should be ready for tuning and dyno in next week.

I'll post some pics soon.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Sounds nice. Is the old computer still in the car for controlling other functions? Like Air conditioning and powering the alternator? Do you get any check engine lights?

Bob
Old 04-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

No, old computer is off since I installed VEMS to the original Motronic connector.

It's not getting any check engine lights. It has ABD, but not cruise control and it's manual gearbox.

First time ABD light came on, but after configuring tachometer output to work, it switched off.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen some installations of stand alones where the engine management function is taken over by the stand alone, but, the original computer is left in the loop to monitor sensors and operate all the other functions like cruise.

Do you think this would be possible with VEMS?

Bob
Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

There are only few functions on 993 Carrera (at least pre-96 models) that need to be addressed. Cruise control has separate control unit and it works without Motronic, so does ABS.
Tank valve ventinging solenoid is operated at startup and it's just a GND signal for few seconds. Easily done with standalone.

Air conditoner needs only rpm operated GND signal that switches it off in WOT mode.

Quick Reply: Installed standalone on '94 993 Carrera 2