Sponsored by:

SAI Pump not operating

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Hap
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAI Pump not operating

My SAI pump is not operating on cold start up.

Background is that I had the CEL, took car to mechanic, who found the 1411 (?)code (right bank SAI code). He turned off the light with his diagnostic tool. Light has not come on again after 100 miles, and maybe 15 starts.

After that I noticed that the SAI pump isn't operating at cold start, but I'm not sure whether the pump problem occurred before the CEL, but it may have occurred prior without my noticing that the "vaccum cleaner" wasn't operating.

Anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot the lack of pump operation ?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

HAP -

I am interested in your findings, My CEL is coming back on pretty quick too. I had not thought that the SAI pump is not functioning, I was hoping it was something else... I have my own reader and see that 1411 is the code. Previously it would stay off for about 400 miles when cleared.

Before getting the reader, I called the Porsche dealer in town. They told me (no seriously) ,"bring it by and we will pull the CEL bulb for you"......

Not kidding...they said they pull codes when the oil is changed.....so no need for the light....

I did not take them up on it and opted to buy a cheap reader...
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the dreaded 1411 one day as I drove away from the dealer. I had just picked up the car after they did the wiring harness recall. It was the end of the day and the service department was closed. Since I was 1 1/2 hours away I drove home. The next time there they told me it was the SAI and not to worry about it (I was living in Southern VA and no emission inspection). I drove for years with the light on. In 2004 I moved back to the Phila area and in 2005 had to pass emissions. Turns out it wasn't clogged ports but a relay for the SAI pump. They fixed it and in 2007 I got the SAI CEL again. This time it was clogged ports. The flush cleared 5 of the 6 and I made it through emissions. The CEL now will come on every 1500 miles or so and I clear it. OBD II resets in a few days and all is good in the world. I just passed PA emisiions Friday for the second time with one port clogged. I think that the SAI pump not working is a blessing in disguise. The ports won't clog up if the pump doesn't work. An ideal solution to the SAI problem would be to shut down the pump until you need it to pass emissions. That way no clogged ports. I don't know where the receipt is for the time they fixed the relay but can ask the service writer tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Hmm... my OBD II 7.8 DME manual says:
I don't show a P0411 for TT.
P1411 Secondary Air Injection System, Bank 2 - Below Limit
Check:
Check function of secondary air injection pump
Check relay
Check power supply for open circuit
Check ground line of secondary air pump
etc., etc. 12 tests in all.

You should be able to hear the secondary air injection pump at cold start up. If not, check the fuse - the air pump fuse is on the relay support panel behind the rear seats. It should be 40A. Then check the connections in the engine compartment.

--------------------

Loren
RennTech.org
I found the above on RENNTECH.org. Loren is DA MAN. He's on this forum also.
Here's the link http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6885
Old 03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

The above is for 996, but I think the 993 is setup the same way.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Hap
8th Gear

Turns out the SAI pump had failed. Had pump replaced, no more CEL light after several hundred miles. New pump is much quieter than old one, as you can hardly hear the new pump at start-up, while the old one sounded like a vacuum cleaner .

Quick Reply: SAI Pump not operating