Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a switched 12V power source for wideband O2 sensor. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I need a switched 12V power source for wideband O2 sensor. Ideas?

Just bought the Innovate Motorsports LC1 wideband O2 sensor, and need to figure out where to get a switched 12V power source. Preferably in the engine compartment. The challenges are:

1. The existing O2 sensor isn't simply switched AFAIK. It goes on & off depending on if you're warm & full throttle. So that won't work.

2. I'm also running wires to my data logger under the passenger seat. But I don't think the passenger seat power is switched, but rather constant on, so that's ruled out too.

3. The LC1 will be grounded under the passenger seat, so I don't want to create any funky ground loops or something.

Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Just bought the Innovate Motorsports LC1 wideband O2 sensor, and need to figure out where to get a switched 12V power source. Preferably in the engine compartment. The challenges are:

1. The existing O2 sensor isn't simply switched AFAIK. It goes on & off depending on if you're warm & full throttle. So that won't work.

2. I'm also running wires to my data logger under the passenger seat. But I don't think the passenger seat power is switched, but rather constant on, so that's ruled out too.

3. The LC1 will be grounded under the passenger seat, so I don't want to create any funky ground loops or something.

Any ideas?
I can't think of a switched souce off hand, but I do see where you now have a fixed wing... I assume you pulled the wing controler. It would be simple to use that harness to provide swiched power...
Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
I can't think of a switched souce off hand, but I do see where you now have a fixed wing... I assume you pulled the wing controler. It would be simple to use that harness to provide swiched power...
Ah, the wing controller under the dash. Pretty good idea.

You also got me thinking of the decklid harness, but I don't think there's anything switched in that (decklid light, brake light, and spoiler motor).
Old 03-28-2008, 07:04 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the LM1 unit on my Barracuda. They are good units, however with carbs, it raised more questions than it answered!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Ah, the wing controller under the dash. Pretty good idea.

You also got me thinking of the decklid harness, but I don't think there's anything switched in that (decklid light, brake light, and spoiler motor).
I just removed my wing and still have the wiring harness that went from the connector on the hinge to the brake light, wing, etc. I was literally going to throw it out tomorrow. You are welcome to it if needed.

Jeff
Old 03-29-2008, 12:46 PM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,

I've been running my LC1 for about a year now, I took the switched power feed from the rear wiper under the rear speakers but had to run it through the firewall. It also replaces the standard narrow band so you can program the cruise AFR. Which also helps with the WOT AFR on my TPC car. I earthed on the right hand side at the rear of the engine bay and do not get any issues with ground offset when I use a dash display for normal driving. I data log via the serial port into my laptop which also works fine. I have also had no problems with condensation at start up so removed my 20s delay cct that I originally had in place.

BR, Mark.

Quick Reply: I need a switched 12V power source for wideband O2 sensor. Ideas?