Sponsored by:

Help with RS Steering wheel install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with RS Steering wheel install

I have the wheel off and need help with intall. I have the air bag bypass resistor kit and I think it need to be installs on the airbag wires coming out of the plastic ring that was under the standard wheel, but the base of the RS wheel is not shaped to fit over the horn and airbag ring on the column. Note differences in shape compared to OEM SW. It doesn't look compatible for multiple reasons. Does that need to be removed? Also I don't see how the horn wire get hooked up. If I remove the ring then it looks like I lose the wiring for the airbag and horn with it. Thanks for the help. I could not find any of this on search. Are there any pictures available or DIY procedures? I checked DIY on Rennlist and P-car sites already.

Jim

PS: Just tried to upload pics, but could not do it. Looks like my membership expired last week and I did not get a notice. I just sent in the renewal request.

Last edited by Jim W; 03-22-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: updated renewal info
Old 03-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim
I'm in the middle of this modification too. Yes, you will need to remove the existing horn and airbag ring - you will also need to remove the switch cowl to get at the two connectors (orange) that supply it. You will also need the L-shaped horn contact which fixes to the switch housing and provides the mating part for the slip ring on the hub (assuming you have the 7004 hub). This link will help - http://www.993faq.com/archives/cat_steering.html

What the article doesn't point out is that the L-shaped horn contact has a brass peg which, when fitted in place, 'should' make contact with the horn circuit wiring. It will only do this if the horn circuit wiring has been included in the original wiring to the main switch assembly. I know this because mine had a blank space in the main connector block where the wiring should have been. I fabricated my own with a (blue) spade connector in reverse - remove any sheathing and strain relief and you have the perfect receptacle for the peg on the contact. Solder a short wire to the spade end and (with a bit of tweaking) plug into the blank space - feed the wire to the now vacant horn connector (brown with white stripe) and you're done.

You can answer me a question now - what bypass resistor kit do you have? I made my own with a 2.4 ohm resistor, fitted into the orange airbag connector, but my airbag light stays on.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:53 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe Gert recommends a 2.9 ohm, .25 watt resistor.

The closest thing I could find was a 2.8 ohm, .25 watt at my local electronics supply store, and it works fine...no light.

Do a search for "Momo steering wheel install". There is a ton of info, and the procedure is exactly the same. BTW, Momo is the manufacturer of the RS wheel.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to confirm.

If this resistor is in place on the drivers side will the system still operate the passenger airbag ?

Rick
Old 03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, the resistor just fools the system into thinking that the airbag is still in place. The passenger airbag is not affected.

Quick Reply: Help with RS Steering wheel install