Sponsored by:

Another SAI CEL Successfully Smogged in Cali

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another SAI CEL Successfully Smogged in Cali

I have another success story to report - a California 993 successfully smogged by exploiting the window between readiness code and the onset of the SAI MIL.

While this may not work for '96's like mine with difficult to set readiness codes, this is at least the fourth example I'm personally aware of to validate this approach.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:38 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a keen interest in this subject as my California registered '96 C4S threw it's first check engine light not too long ago. Of course, with 59K on the clock, I was sure it was SAI code related. And it was.

Are you saying the way to try and pass the CA. smog test is to reset the light, and then go right away to get it smog checked, or...?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Not quite. First, you should make sure your SAI CEL is not a result of a vacuum leak/disconnected hose, etc.

Otherwise, PM me your phone number and I can review the potential process with you.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don,

For the benefit of those who may do a search for a non-invasive solution to the SAI-CEL in the future maybe you could post the process here in this thread?

I have a '96 that threw the CEL for SAI at about 52K miles and found out it had done so several times before I owned the car (discovered that was the case when having a diagnostics done on the car). I had originally thought the diagnostics software was used to check out my car before I purchased it but thats a whole nutha' story.

I passed smog with a referee last time and now have another smog test coming up in Sept. It would be nice to have a back-up plan if the referee approach doesn't work for me this time round.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Theorectically, ahem, there's a gap in time after the MIL reset and after drive cycles flags clear before the SAI CEL triggers. You have to learn the drive cycle procedure, as soon as the flags clear get it smogged. There is also a way to accelerate the drive cycle reset using the PST2 (hammer).

All in all, it's a pita but if you are not consuming oil, beats a $10K top end rebuild.

Quick Reply: Another SAI CEL Successfully Smogged in Cali