Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:30 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Confusion....

WTF???

Pilot Sport "Rib"

What the hell is it? Tire Rack shows them on their site, but offers little information about what makes them "ribs" vs. "plain" Pilot Sports. The Michelin sites don't even show that tire, only "Pilot Sport" and "Pilot Sport PS2."

Does anyone have any other recommendations on tires? I have Bridgestone S-O3's on there now, and they have been fine, but seem to be discontinued. My preference was to just get 2 rears, since the fronts still have about 25%, but now I am thinking just get 4 and go back to a "N" tire.

Finally... I can NEVER seem to find those tire charts people have put together when I need them.... What can I do on the fronts to have a bit more tire? 215 something?

TIA!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 465 Posts

FYI, Michelin Pilot Sport "rib" was, I do believe an oem tire on the 993. I truly believe it's well past it's prime (but then so am I!).
Old 03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Pirelli P-Zeros were oem?

The "rib" is an extra rubber bump-out on the sidewall to help protect your wheel lip. It makes the tire stick out farther than your wheel, so if you lightly curb it, hopefully the rib will keep your wheels from getting f*#ked up.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:29 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gordo993
The "rib" is an extra rubber bump-out on the sidewall to help protect your wheel lip. It makes the tire stick out farther than your wheel, so if you lightly curb it, hopefully the rib will keep your wheels from getting f*#ked up.
No, the "rib" refers to the tread pattern, which is rib style rather than the directional style of the regular Pilot Sport of that era.

You're thinking of rim protectors (which can be called "ribs" too). But most tires esp low profile ones have those.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Avenger6
WTF???

Pilot Sport "Rib"

What the hell is it? Tire Rack shows them on their site, but offers little information about what makes them "ribs" vs. "plain" Pilot Sports. The Michelin sites don't even show that tire, only "Pilot Sport" and "Pilot Sport PS2."

Does anyone have any other recommendations on tires? I have Bridgestone S-O3's on there now, and they have been fine, but seem to be discontinued. My preference was to just get 2 rears, since the fronts still have about 25%, but now I am thinking just get 4 and go back to a "N" tire.

Finally... I can NEVER seem to find those tire charts people have put together when I need them.... What can I do on the fronts to have a bit more tire? 215 something?

TIA!
FWIW, I'm driving on a set (PS Rib) right now, and they are VERY sticky when compared to the Khumos I took off...
Old 03-21-2008, 04:37 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm running MPS2's 225/45 and 255/40 17's on C4. Tire feels substantionally better than the PZero Rosso I had previously. PM me your email, and I'll send the tire/wheel fitment.xls you're talking about.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From the Tire Rack: "Michelin Pilot Sport 'Rib' Max Performance tires have been developed for original equipment use on late model Porsche cars. They are a straight rib tread design derivative of Michelin's Pilot Sport tire line. As Porsche original equipment tires, designated 'N-1' (18-inch sizes) and 'N-2' (17-inch sizes), Pilot Sport 'Rib' tires are designed to offer enhanced acoustic comfort and refined road manners while providing the driver with exceptional feedback and progressive handling."

I'm running a set on a 993--225/40 18s on the front and 285/30s on the rear; I'm satisfied with them.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
From the Tire Rack: "Michelin Pilot Sport 'Rib' Max Performance tires have been developed for original equipment use on late model Porsche cars. They are a straight rib tread design derivative of Michelin's Pilot Sport tire line. As Porsche original equipment tires, designated 'N-1' (18-inch sizes) and 'N-2' (17-inch sizes), Pilot Sport 'Rib' tires are designed to offer enhanced acoustic comfort and refined road manners while providing the driver with exceptional feedback and progressive handling."
Yeah, what he said.

Avenger, feel free to give me a call if you need help sizing. I'd be glad to help.

Thanks-
Old 03-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<<They are a straight rib tread design derivative of Michelin's Pilot Sport tire line.>>

Yes, it does say that, but what does that mean, exactly? I envision "ribs" as going "side-to-side," i.e. "across" the tread, or as being something within the tire. I am sure this sentence is fully accurate in what it is saying, but it just doesn't say much if you are a person who is not fully clear what a "straight rib tread design" is and how it differs from anything else. It doesn't give me much to go on for deciding whether I want these tires or the "regular" Pilot Sports or something else entirely.

I understand and accept that the online pictures that the retailers post, including Tire Rack, are not necessarily "exactly" the correct ones, and I can't see any real difference between these and the "regular" ones in the little pictures they have. And I don't understand why they aren't even listed on Michelin's web sites. Are they discontinued? Could I be buying the last of the available stock, and hence have "problems" if I damage one and be forced to buy a whole set because they aren't available anymore?

I'll give Damon a call.

Quick Reply: Tire Confusion....