Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Pre first oil change question (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/417773-pre-first-oil-change-question.html)

JPS 03-18-2008 12:21 PM

Pre first oil change question

Getting ready to do first oil change DIY...ordered oil (BP after the discussion here) and parts from Sunset. Q is, on Robin's p-car.com DIY, he shows this picture http://p-car.com/diy/changeoil/Pic24_FilterWrench2.jpg, with the funky oil filter wrench installed...do I need that special thing, or will just a standard oil filter wrench http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/0...arpen=1&qlt=75.

If the special one is needed, what size is it?

RallyJon 03-18-2008 12:25 PM

You don't need the fancy one. Get a cheap cup filter from Autozone--76mm x 14 points I think. Take your new filter to the store with you to test fit.

Your strap wrench will not help you with anything.

mr_bock 03-18-2008 12:28 PM

I don't think you can get the strap type wrench on the filter and still turn the lever. I picked up a cheap 'adjustable' bottom' grip from PepBoys. It is sort of like the one in the pix, but it pulls together as you turn it with an extension and ratchet.

Good Luck..... ps when you disconnect the drain, the oil will gush out! I used heavy duty aluminum foil to make a long and large dia. funnel to a 5 gal bucket.

Amfab 03-18-2008 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RallyJon (Post 5224728)
You don't need the fancy one. Get a cheap cup filter from Autozone--76mm x 14 points I think. Take your new filter to the store with you to test fit.

Your strap wrench will not help you with anything.

+1

I bought one at pep boys, and with a bit jiggling it around you can get it in there without removing the oil line–it's tight and at first it seems like it won't go on but you can get it in there.
Here is a picture of the type Jon and I am talking about. I also use it to tighten it down as you can't get your hand in there well enough to get a grip. if you don't remove the oil line, then put the wrench on the filter before you spin it on. Then you just have to screw around for a minute to find the weird angle and you can get it off. I find it faster still than dealing with the oil line.

993USMC 03-18-2008 12:29 PM

Don't try to wing it without the filter wrench. I had to stop midway through the oil change process to go out and buy one.

/Doug

JPS 03-18-2008 12:43 PM

Don't try to wing it without the filter wrench. I had to stop midway through the oil change process to go out and buy one.
Exactly what I was hoping to avoid. Thanks everyone for the tips...I'll pick up one before I jack her up.

chris walrod 03-18-2008 01:00 PM

I have the stamped steel filter wrench that I use on my cars with very little difficulty. Sometimes, it does slip and I have to degrease it surgically clean then apply aluminum tape to shim it for a hammer-on fit. It typically works. That said, the aluminum tool from the dealer is on my to-buy list as my steel iteration is starting to oval out making it increasingly difficult to get the tighter filters off the car.

Bottom line, the porsche tool is best.

Robin 993DX 03-18-2008 01:03 PM

My stamp pep boys filter unit like Chris's unit which we both found to be out of spec. after years of 993 oil change.

Now I end up just use a giant channel lock to grab the filter and spin it loose. Both me and Chris have been talking getting the original "expensive" Porsche tool...

Kendal 03-18-2008 01:09 PM

I did this just last week and used brad penn oil. I bought the cheap filter cup also and it worked great. I also did not remove the oil line. I see no reason to remove it. Good luck.

The Brewmeister 03-18-2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX (Post 5224848)
My stamp pep boys filter unit like Chris's unit which we both found to be out of spec. after years of 993 oil change.

Now I end up just use a giant channel lock to grab the filter and spin it loose. Both me and Chris have been talking getting the original "expensive" Porsche tool...

Does the Porsche tool have to be ordered from the dealer or do any places
like Pelican have the tool? How expensive is it? When a Ferrari owner says
that it's expensive, lookout! :)

Robin 993DX 03-18-2008 02:07 PM

Anything over $5 for the p-car is expensive. :P

AOW162435 03-18-2008 02:11 PM

I have the cast aluminum tool and have used it for three oil changes. It fits our filters very snugly - with no signs of slip. I believe I purchased it from Sunset a few years ago.

I also epoxied a socket to the tool in order to use it with a 1/2" extension. If needed, I can take a pic.

Andreas

ppressle 03-18-2008 02:24 PM

The three finger Craftsman tool from Sears works well also. Don't have to remove the oil line with that tool.

WHB Porsche 03-18-2008 03:00 PM

JPS - Where do you wrench on your car in the city? Wanna have an oil change party?

dcdude 03-18-2008 03:24 PM

Someone previously advised using a 14" extension to aid in the long reach up, thus keeping the oil line attached. I found one in 1/4" drive, which I plan to use next time.