Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 Percolating sound on warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My noise is not related to that particular failure; one of the first things I did was pull the relay for the SAI pump and the noise was still there. It also does it on occasion after the car is warmed up, although perhaps not as loudly. I think it's two separate issues at play here. There were many theories, ranging from the PS pump belt slipping to a loose baffle in the oil tank being rattled around by thicker oil, but nothing ever became the chief suspect; now that I notice it in the second car, I assume it's a common trait. And at 20k miles later, why worry?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I be worried that I've never heard this noise? I'm in FL so it never gets that cold.....
Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
HeelToe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bypassed the SAI system on mine and the familiar cold startup gurgling was unaffected. So it's definitely not related to the SAI. The cold oil explanation sounds more likely.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Gbag
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the Los Padres mountains in California. It gets cool in the mornings, and I hear that noise on startup all the time. Always wondered if it were normal and assumed it was residual oil in the lines or a bit of remaining pressure working as the system warmed up. No explanation based on technical fact other than that I KNOW oil flows to the nose in that area.

My car has 38k and I have had it for almost 2 years with no apparent issues relating to this noise so far. My vote is normal.

It is sort of endearing. Like blood through the veins. Goes well with the flat-six cocktail scent.....

G
Old 02-29-2008, 06:03 PM
HBP
Intermediate

I got another chance to look at the car today and I have to agree that it's not SAI related. The gurgling was responsive to changes in the engine rpm and was also present after the SAI pump turned off. So I let it sit for 30 min's and started it up again (had the heat on in the garage too during that 30 min's), could hear the SAI pump run and shut off, and no gurgling this time as I think the oil was still warm from the previous run.

So I'm wondering at this point if anyone thinks it may be worth it to change the oil thermostat to see if that eliminates the noise? I'm much less worried about it now based on all your feedback (thanks again), and what I've been able to determine myself, and am now just curious as to why it's never done this before now?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:16 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

HBP,
Sounds like you got your $18's worth already

Membership is great here, and joining is easy
https://rennlist.com/forums/payments.php

Welcome!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 PM
polaris 993 sport
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

sound normal-it"s all going to the oil coolers in front-
Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HBP

So I'm wondering at this point if anyone thinks it may be worth it to change the oil thermostat to see if that eliminates the noise? I'm much less worried about it now based on all your feedback (thanks again), and what I've been able to determine myself, and am now just curious as to why it's never done this before now?
When I bought my car I had a ppi done by a chap who'd had shed loads of 993 time including working for Ruf uk .He waxed lyrical about the oil gushing startup sound being one of the fondest quirks he remembered about the car.
I remember feeling left out as I couldn't hear said sounds on startup , having bought the car at the tail end of Summer , but I've grown to love those sounds whilst driving the car over the Irish winter.
I've also talked to an engineer who's also a Porsche independent in the UK in recent times and he assured me it's normal , due to holes in the thermo to prevent an over pressure that would occur in a completely closed system It's an absolutely normal part of 993 ownership , don't try to get rid of it!

Btw , I hear that the thermo isn't a known failure point on these cars , it's highly unlikely that changing it out is going to make any difference

I would be interested as to why your car has suddenly started making these sounds though ..
Old 03-01-2008, 12:06 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Mine percolates (even in the warmer weather if the engine is not warmed up). It is normal.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by shamrock
I've also talked to an engineer who's also a Porsche independent in the UK in recent times and he assured me it's normal , due to holes in the thermo to prevent an over pressure that would occur in a completely closed system
The gushing sound is nothing more than oil returning from the crankcase to the tank.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:18 PM
porsche fever
Intermediate

I had a 964 that I used a fram filter on and the noise was greater than when I changed out to an O.M.E. filter. Somewhere I read that fram didn't have a bypass or something that made the noise worse. After warmup it you keep the rpms up - no noise!

Quick Reply: 993 Percolating sound on warm up?