Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Definition of a "sports car" vs. "GT"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Definition of a "sports car" vs. "GT"?

Does anyone have a link to a generally-accepted definition of a sports car?

In the past, I've seen or heard something mandating 2 seats, rear wheel drive and a convertible top. Then there are the subjective criteria such as "small" and "lightweight." Then there are numerous others that people stretch or compress in order to include their own beloved machines. The obvious inclusions are MG, Austin-Healey, Triumphs, Alfa, Fiat, Miata, Boxster, Z3/4 etc. But then things get fuzzy.

Technically, the 911 is a "2+2," but it's universally accepted as a "sports car." But other fast and powerful cars such as Supra, Camaro Z28 or Ferrari 550 Maranello are "Grand Tourismo" cars, right? Is this just due to their back seats? Is the larger, softer 996 also a "GT" car then?

Nissan Z is a sports car, even with a fixed roof; RX8 still a sports car, even with its back seat, but Mercedes SL (cab) is not, right?

Last edited by dcdude; 02-25-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there DC...
I checked the definition on Wiki and I think it explains it well.
Here you have it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

Hope to see you at Kennedy School next month.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

73 911: Sports Car
928: GT Car

There are probably many differing opinions, but my belief is that most current cars are no longer pure sports cars OR GT (Grand Touring) cars, but something inbetween. with the possible exception of the GT-3, which I would call a sports car.

Nissan Z is more of a GT car, far too heavy to be a sports car. I consider the 993 more of a GT car than a sports car, though its roots are from a sports car, like the early 240Z.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sports car is automobile without power windows, power door locks, power steering, power sun roof, power lumbar support, power mirrors, A/C, cruise control, rear window defroster,,, and has a clutch pedal and at least 3 forward speeds.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
kaktis993
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan V
Sports car is automobile without power windows, power door locks, power steering, power sun roof, power lumbar support, power mirrors, A/C, cruise control, rear window defroster
If that's the case, you'll have to change your avatar, 993's got all those things!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the origins of the term "Sports Car" go back to the day when certain cars were made in large part to compete in various events - races, hill climbs, rallies, etc. The fact they had two doors, rear wheel drive and a ragtop related primarily to the desire to keep them light. In those days you might have also used a sports car for transportation but generally they were built for competition of various sorts with the expectation that you'd also drive them to and from the events. As their popularity grew the idea of a "Sports Car" became more about marketing than competition (think win on Sunday, sell on Monday) and the term was used for lots of cars that were never really going to be competitive. This tendancy toward pure marketing term advanced toward the end of the 50s and early 60s as competition cars started to become too specialized to be road cars.

Grand Tourismo (GT) cars were generally not race cars except for a very few that were geared mostly toward long distance racing (the Ferrari GTO as an example). GTs are more generally thought of as high speed, long distance autobahn type cruisers where comfort as well as speed and handling are of importance.

This may all sound like splitting hairs but when you consider the rather pathetic cars that were typical in the day it makes some sense. Today the terms don't have much relevance except as marketing image makers.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:15 PM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

sports car vs. gt = gt3 vs. turbo
Old 02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

You guys have too much time on your hands........
Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

my GT can beat up your sports car

Quick Reply: Definition of a "sports car" vs. "GT"?