993 Forum 1995-1998

Arrrrrrrgh! I'm sick of the bloody fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:27 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arrrrrrrgh! I'm sick of the bloody fasteners

Some of you know that I have been having trouble removing the engine shroud to change the top 3 spark plugs.
The 1st problem was that the bolt holding the muffler bracket on the right camshaft housing was too tight - bolt head stripped and had to remove the heat exchanger. Eventually got the bolt off after much swearing and cursing The bolt also doesn't come off completely as the tesioner cover is inthe way si I just sawed the bolt off and I need to find a shorter bolt to put back in
Now the middle socket fastener on the engine shroud won't come off - again the socket is rounded. I've used a larger allen key which I cut so that the straight part of the shaft, hammered into the socket and used a ratchet and a breaker bar - again to no avail - just rounding off again
So what options do I have other than shooting the gorilla who put the fasteners on so tight

Harry
Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PB Blaster. Let it soak on the fasteners for a while, it's really helpful.

Heat is also your friend. Patience is sometimes harder to come by though!

Good Luck!

Don
Old 02-23-2008, 05:13 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Heat probably not an option where it is.
I've tried using lubricants - no real help. I was lookong on internet and some have suggested hammering on an oversized Torx bit - probably give that a go. Any other ideas welcome.

harry

P.S. You can heat with a well directed flame - I bought a butane gas torch - still, it didn't work.....

Last edited by RS man; 03-09-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:32 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

Harry,
These things work very well. If you have trouble finding something like this in Scotland, I'll get the correct size and send it to you. Just say the word.

Andreas
Old 02-23-2008, 06:49 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Andreas,

Thanks for your offer. I don't think you can use that on the allen bolts that hold the engine shroud to the engine. I bought a set of those in trying to remove the bolt on the camshaft housing but did not have enough space so heat exchanger was taken off and used a smaller spanner and an extension bar to undo the bolt - and this couldn't be removed fully so I had to cut the head off to remove the threaded part!
This could be the longest spark plug change in Rennlist history!
Harry

P.S. I think the 2 bolts on either side will be OK with the device but the middle bolt will not be possible due to the elliptical hole with a lip which gets in the way of hammering straight on.

Last edited by RS man; 03-09-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

May want to, at this point, strike the head of the bolt (if you can get in their with it) with a chisel near the three o'clock point on the bolt head angled upwards in efforts to loosen the bolt. In other words, use the chisel to try and turn the bolt CCW.

For some reason, the bolts in particular are bloody tight! I cringe each time I have to remove them!!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

Harry,
Are these the bolts you are having trouble with:

Andreas
Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Yup Andreas, it's the middle one.

Harry
Old 02-23-2008, 08:48 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Chris,

I am not sure how I can fit a chisel into the hex socket. I assume you are talking about the normal hexagonal headed ones?

Harry
Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when in doubt, use every man's favorite tool........VISEGRIPS!!! Works like a champ!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 PM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Harry,
These things work very well. If you have trouble finding something like this in Scotland, I'll get the correct size and send it to you. Just say the word.

Andreas
These are wicked and have saved me a ton of times.

Even if the head is striped or round head like the allen bolt you fit the bit that
fits nice and tight over it then smack it on with a hammer... the blades on the bit will cut into the head of the nut and WILL GET IT OFF.

I had the middle 2 engine tin bolts that got striped using the allen but old faithful ( stripped nut extractor) got it off. The only way to use these is with a hammer.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
when in doubt, use every man's favorite tool........VISEGRIPS!!! Works like a champ!
Don't think one of those is going to fit in the restricted space.

Harry
Old 02-24-2008, 05:12 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by herman maire
These are wicked and have saved me a ton of times.

Even if the head is striped or round head like the allen bolt you fit the bit that
fits nice and tight over it then smack it on with a hammer... the blades on the bit will cut into the head of the nut and WILL GET IT OFF.

I had the middle 2 engine tin bolts that got striped using the allen but old faithful ( stripped nut extractor) got it off. The only way to use these is with a hammer.

OK, I'll try that and see what happens - hopefully there is room to put it on.

Harry
Old 02-24-2008, 10:18 AM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I would do is get the right size bit for the bolt. If you look at the bits close you can see that they reduce in diameter on the inside of the bit where the blades are... thats what cuts into the nut but they have to be hamered on so those blades can get a good solid cut into the bolt. And again just make sure you dont use a bit thats too big.

With that bit on the stripped nut, hammer it on .... its going to be tought on the 993 but doable . once hammered on get the wrench or ratchet out and let it rip.

In tough spots on other stuff I have worked on I have used 3+feet of ratchet extensions just to get into tight spots. What a PITA tight spots are heh,heh.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2008, 11:47 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you getting on with it Harry? Any progress?

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Arrrrrrrgh! I'm sick of the bloody fasteners