Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Street Racing tragedy.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:09 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Default OT: Street Racing tragedy.

8 spectators get killed at street race..
http://wtopnews.com/?nid=104&sid=1346511

http://wtopnews.com/?nid=708&sid=1347576
Old 02-19-2008 | 11:44 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

I'm really confused about this article. He killed 8 spectarors and he wasn't even arrested!
Then, they make it sound like he's the victim! Something is wrong with this picture.
Old 02-20-2008 | 12:19 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c993k
I'm really confused about this article. He killed 8 spectarors and he wasn't even arrested!
Then, they make it sound like he's the victim! Something is wrong with this picture.
Here's what happened. Keep in mind this is a regular highway in the wee hours of the morning. After the two cars took off, the spectators (some of the 300 or so) came in the roadway to get a better view. He comes along, not seeing them (road sort of hilly, plus there are claims that there was a lot of smoke from tire burnout) at 3 am and runs into them.

It's like driving along 441 and then coming on a bunch of folk out of the blue.
Old 02-20-2008 | 04:13 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I was under the impression that he was racing, that changes things I guess,
Still kinda weird though, if I was driving and out nowhere, there was smoke and I can't see
what's behind it, or what caused it, I would stop.
This is the reason why spectators get ticketed in these events.

Last edited by c993k; 02-20-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2008 | 06:05 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

I grew up street racing in New York City and Saga Bay in South Dade. We raced many 9 and 10 second cars on public roads 15 years ago. At this point of my life I realize how stupid it was. We would do crazy things like this all the time. Unfortunately the innocent bystanders are the ones to get hurt or killed. When I say bystanders I am not referring to the spectators. I am referring to people that just happen upon the scene. If all is true in this case than the kid that hit the crowd was probably not in the wrong. I feel for the families of the victims, but they were not all that innocent standing in the middle of a highway at 4 AM watching an illegal race. I do not think that it is necessary to tell us that the "killer" once shot a BB gun or stole less than $500 from a store. It is not relevant. I can guarantee you that he will be sued just as the owners of the Central Florida airstrip will be in another familiar case. In that case just like this one the affected parties will refuse to be held accountable for their family members actions. I do not want to sound insensitive but this will bring more frivolous lawsuits.........
Old 02-20-2008 | 07:27 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Latest update is that he was driving with a suspended license.
Old 02-20-2008 | 09:37 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

It takes two to Tango...expectators should not have been there and the driver should have been able to stop or avoid the spectators if he was either not speeding or paying attention what was coming ahead. Tragic, but Darwin's theory at work.
Old 02-20-2008 | 11:31 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

This story has been beaten to death in this area and bottom line is if you weren't participating in an illegal street race in the middle of the early morning these deaths would never have happened...plain & simple.
Old 02-20-2008 | 12:18 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Correct, this story has been beaten to death and there are still differing accounts on the occurrence.
1.Some witnesses state that he had no headlights on when he came upon the spectators...

2. Others also state that there was a Police vehicle in pursuit of this guy.. if that's true, then that probably explains why his lights were not on. considering the suspended license.. he was trying to evade police. The police however deny any pursuit activity in that area at the time. Based where this is, it would have been an officer from the neighboring county giving chase into the county where the accident happened.

3. It was not a road where they were standing... it was a highway. A very long stretch of Hwy with some hills and slight winding turns. In summer, a lot of sport bikes frequent the area with speeds approaching 180 Mph.. as report by some of my Police friend who have run speed traps on that same stretch.

4. Lastly, Why the hell you would stand in the middle of the highway with your back towards oncoming traffic for any reason at any time of day or night is beyond me!!
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:54 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

You! Out of the gene pool!

Quick Reply: OT: Street Racing tragedy.