Sponsored by: DashLynx

(Relatively) painless recaro pole position install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 PM
icelatte
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Relatively) painless recaro pole position install

After reading all the available seat install horror stories, I decided to give it a go. I got 2 leather PP from a fellow rennlister on the 996 board, recaro slider and Brey-krause side mounts from OG racing.

The side mounts were the key. I got R-9075 for the driver's side. It's pricier than most side mounts but it comes with a mount for the inboard seat belt so I thought it was worth it.

I only had to drill two holes on the recaro sliders to fit the mounts. 4 holes on the sliders lined up perfectly with the floor mounts. Everything went in easily and there was plenty of space on the inboard side. The only thing I need to tweak is to get a shim for the inboard seat belt receiver so it doesn't spin so freely. Love the seats and it really accentuates how off-center the steering wheel is.

Now off to the passenger side! I hope this helps anyone else looking to do a seat install.
Attached Images      
Old 02-17-2008, 01:03 PM
icelatte
Racer

On another note, when I took the car out, the fan belt light came on. When I looked the belt was fine but the plastic wheel on the tension sensor is gone so only the plastic spindle is in contact with the belt. I did a ghetto-fabulous fix of zip-tie to get the arm in the correct position to get the light off. So the question is, is the plastic wheel replaceable, or do I need to buck up for a whole new sensor?
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Glad to hear it went well. My PP install was a PITA.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by icelatte
On another note, when I took the car out, the fan belt light came on. When I looked the belt was fine but the plastic wheel on the tension sensor is gone so only the plastic spindle is in contact with the belt. I did a ghetto-fabulous fix of zip-tie to get the arm in the correct position to get the light off. So the question is, is the plastic wheel replaceable, or do I need to buck up for a whole new sensor?
The wheel is riveted in place. A new sensor is ~ $70 from Sunset.

Andreas
Old 02-17-2008, 05:55 PM
V
Drifting

Great! Any intention of selling me those 993 hardback sport seats?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:29 PM
icelatte
Racer

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Great! Any intention of selling me those 993 hardback sport seats?
I can't even guess how much shipping would be to Stockholm!
I think right now they would look perfect in my garage.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:02 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice job... however, you may find that your seat belt reciever position is going to cause some issues. I found that with the receiver on the outside of the seat, the shoulder strap cam across my neck, and the lap portion was up too high on my abdomen.

If you sneak the seat belt receiver inside the seat's side hole, you should find that it fits better. Anyway, may not work for you as the PPs have a smaller side hole than my SPGs. Here's a pic of both (passenger switched to inside, driver side before the switch).
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 PM
icelatte
Racer

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Nice job... however, you may find that your seat belt reciever position is going to cause some issues. I found that with the receiver on the outside of the seat, the shoulder strap cam across my neck, and the lap portion was up too high on my abdomen.

If you sneak the seat belt receiver inside the seat's side hole, you should find that it fits better. Anyway, may not work for you as the PPs have a smaller side hole than my SPGs. Here's a pic of both (passenger switched to inside, driver side before the switch).
Thanks. I tried that but the receiver is hard plastic and the attachment point on the side mount is too low to adequately sneak it through the hole. But when I put the belt on, the thighs rise enough over the side bolsters that the lap belt only rests over my lower pelvis. I feel comfortable with that.

Quick Reply: (Relatively) painless recaro pole position install