Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope this helps, good luck.
~Chris~
Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 PM
matt777
Drifting

Default Something to think about

There is nothing in it for the person who was not at fault so asking them to spend time shopping around and then debating the competitiveness of the quotes is pushing it. If they have latent injuries or further issues with their vehicle they may have difficulties getting assistance. I have seen too many people get shafted by those promising to pay for damages out of their pocket and then find out they are unable (or unwilling) to cough up the money. I advise friends to go through insurance regardless. The at fault party can negotiate with the insurance company about paying for the damage. I may sound like an ars or a lawyer but....

ps I am not applying that anyone here would do such a thing.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 AM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

c993k- Thank you, this is very helpful. OK, I spoke with a friend who is an insurance agent and he informed me of something interesting. If the damage is < $1,000 you STILL get flagged for an accident. It does NOT impact your accident free discount but it does get flagged on your account (FYI- this policy is in effect for SF). Given that my wife is an apparent speed demon, I'm leaning towards just paying this out of pocket and being done with it. So my last question is... do I get another quote? If the quote comes in higher than his orignial estimate, then what? I told him that I would get it resolved this weekend and be done with it. BTW... he mentioned getting another quote not me.

Thanks again for all of the input.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:14 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhale
c993k- Thank you, this is very helpful. OK, I spoke with a friend who is an insurance agent and he informed me of something interesting. If the damage is < $1,000 you STILL get flagged for an accident. It does NOT impact your accident free discount but it does get flagged on your account (FYI- this policy is in effect for SF). Given that my wife is an apparent speed demon, I'm leaning towards just paying this out of pocket and being done with it. So my last question is... do I get another quote? If the quote comes in higher than his orignial estimate, then what? I told him that I would get it resolved this weekend and be done with it. BTW... he mentioned getting another quote not me.

Thanks again for all of the input.
You always have the option of the lowest quote but that is all up to the individual's car she hit. Usually any damage as you described, is around $1000 give or take $200. As for the insurance, you don't wan't to be flagged. It will eventually reflect on your premium and driving higher end cars that can be a serious shock to the pocket. Good luck, Chris
Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 AM
H2NO
Instructor

Pay it out of pocket AND raise the deductible on your insurance to $1,000. Insurance is for major claims. Raising your deductible will save you money.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 AM
jhale
Pro

Well, I settled the claim this weekend and paid the repair bills out of pocket. I also took everyone's advice and had a "relaese of claims" document executed by both parties. Fortunately, no one was injured and I can put this mishap behind us. Thanks everyone for all of your input and suggestions!

Quick Reply: OT: Looking for some insurance advice