Sponsored by:

Clutch vent removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:58 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch vent removal ?

On the PCA tech forums in december, Joel Reiser recommended to disconnect the clutch vent.

The main reason for this is that the vent brings dirty clutch particles right into the air filter. Doesn't help to keep it clean !

Other potential advantages :
I think it would make it easier to change the spark plugs if the tube goes away.
It would save some weight.
The depression under the car (at speed) would suck the particles away, so do we really need this thing being connected to the air filter ?

The race cars don't have that vent.

So it sounds like a pretty good idea to do it, and let that vent join the engine tray in the attic. Has anyone done it ? Is there any good way to do it ?

Or is it a bad idea ?

-Guillaume
Old 02-10-2008, 01:54 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did it a long time ago (approximate 30K miles). No problems whatsoever.

To clean things up further, I actually replaced the engine tin with a solid piece (no hole) from a tiptronic car.

Frankly, I see no need to "pollute" my intake tract.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:50 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Interesting. Since it is an OEM design, there has to be some reason WHY the factory designed it that way?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I removed the tube as well; however, a short (~6") angled tube was attached at the bell housing to keep debris from finding its way into the clutch - and to blast the black clutch dust to atmosphere ( along with my brake dust ). Also, a sheet metal plate was easily cut out and screwed to the engine tin via the tube mounting holes.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Interesting. Since it is an OEM design, there has to be some reason WHY the factory designed it that way?
Add (quasi)plausible reasons;
1) didn't want to get the engine tray dirty with clutch dust ..
2) pilot dust collection system for base models - the planned enviro "Green" option was to duct in 4 more tubes from the brake calipers ..
3) to give a "visual" indicator of when to change the air filter - as they otherwise rarely look dirty at the recommended change interval ...
4) ___________ ....
Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
To clean things up further, I actually replaced the engine tin with a solid piece (no hole) from a tiptronic car.
Interesting. Did you leave the port on the transmission housing open? Is there a Tiptronic-specific airbox cover?

Andreas
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Original design might have been part of the Porsche 'green' effort as it relates to car design vis-a-vis noise and air pollution. The 993 was to represent a nirvana of low noise and atmosperic pollution. Since, for some reason, the tranny needed to be vented, they chose to vent it a-la a PCV system, in effect, making it a closed system. By removing the vent tube, the system is now open to the atmosphere and contributing to yukky pollution and perhaps contamination of the tranny. Not sure what performance enhancement is to be gained from this proposed mod. The vent tube only weighs a few ounces and the plug changing ritual is not such a frequently occuring ritual on a street-only car to justify the mod in my mind. This is strictly a 02Cts worth input.

BTW: AFter I changed all my plugs a couple months ago, I could not get the flexible vent hose reconnected to the rigid pipe because the hose was pretty beat up and I really need three hands to do it, so in effect I am polluting
Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I took it off both of my 993s, as I want all the "clean" air I can get going into the filter and engine. BTW, there was no increase in dust/dirt in the engine compartment.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marlon
Not sure what performance enhancement is to be gained from this proposed mod. The vent tube only weighs a few ounces and the plug changing ritual is not such a frequently occuring ritual on a street-only car to justify the mod in my mind.
No it's not a performance mod. I was kidding with the weight thing. The main goal here is to get a clean air filter.
The rest (if any) is just bonus.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Air filters literally cost 'pennies' and I have not noticed an unacceptable air filter life issue related to tranny air.

Originally Posted by tabasco
No it's not a performance mod. I was kidding with the weight thing. The main goal here is to get a clean air filter.
The rest (if any) is just bonus.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:28 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Originally Posted by Garth S
I removed the tube as well; however, a short (~6") angled tube was attached at the bell housing to keep debris from finding its way into the clutch - and to blast the black clutch dust to atmosphere ( along with my brake dust ). Also, a sheet metal plate was easily cut out and screwed to the engine tin via the tube mounting holes.
The tube idea sounds good. I too would be worried about debris getting into the clutch.
Do you have pictures of that tube ? Where did you source it ?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tabasco
The tube idea sounds good. I too would be worried about debris getting into the clutch.
Do you have pictures of that tube ? Where did you source it ?
Sorry - no pics taken: quite simple really, just hacksawed a piece from the old tube and attached it as a rearward mounted down spout. The tinwork cover was zipped from a piece of sheet with tinsnips.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
Sorry - no pics taken: quite simple really, just hacksawed a piece from the old tube and attached it as a rearward mounted down spout. The tinwork cover was zipped from a piece of sheet with tinsnips.
Why bother, if you leave it off then you have more opening for air to enter just like the Fabspeed air box now!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
Air filters literally cost 'pennies' and I have not noticed an unacceptable air filter life issue related to tranny air.
For that same reason I left it as it is.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Why bother, if you leave it off then you have more opening for air to enter just like the Fabspeed air box now!
The plate I added was to seal the hole in the air ducting tinwork around the engine ( near #5 cyl) .... not the air cleaner

Quick Reply: Clutch vent removal ?