Sponsored by:

Heart valve replacement...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Randy,
I'm a cardiologist and would be more than happy to answer any questions.
PM me anytime for anything
I can't exactly give any advice here for obvious medico-legal reasons, but here's a brief summary:

Mechanical is often the best choice, especially if you're under 70ish. Major drawback is having to take coumadin, a potent blood thinner. The key to being on coumadin is to avoid anything potentially traumatic (eg. boxing, falling down stairs, etc...) There is also a risk of spontaneous/random bleed (which can be serious), It's rare, but something which you need to consider.

Tissue valves are quiet good, but do have a limited lifespan and a second surgery in your late 70's and beyond is not a low risk surgery. Speak to your surgeon regarding the exact valves they are considering because it does vary with both the type of valve and the condition you have.

I truly wish you the best of luck, and please PM me with any questions. As mentioned here, keep an open dialogue with your cardiologist and cardiac surgeon.
Stay strong and healthy. The better shape you are going into the surgery, the better shape you'll be coming out.

Take care,
Rob
Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi neighbor!
Sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like you are getting lots of good information from the board. I can't add anything as I have no experience or background, but wish you the best.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you will get fine soon !!! you will see !!
GoodLuck !!!

eloy
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Porsche70T
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Randy,
From the posts I see that there is a lot of good information and caring words. I'm not a doctor so I don't have any medical advice, but have been on the insurance/administrative side for 30 years. First, I would second those that say that information is your friend. From a practical perspective, a surgeon's experience doing the exact procedure you decide on is critical and a second surgical opinion - think of it as a PPI - is important (don't confuse with a consultation that your doctor will typically have with another doctor). Check out the Mayo Clinic web site. It has lots of good information. Also dummy around bluecares.com as a guest for PPO doctor and hosptial rating information. There is a page that gives provider quality reports, kind of like a Consumer Reports. The other key factor is the hospital. Most surgeons have previlages and can practice at several different hosptials, though they may have their preference. You want a hospital that has as much experience as possible in your exact procedure. It may sound strange, but hosptials can vary widely on patient safety. It's comforting to know that your hospital is dedicated to the highest level of quality and safety. You are fortunate that Seattle is well ahead of a lot of metro areas in this regard. An organization that measures and works with hospital safety transparancey is leapfroggroup.org. Finally, ask your insurance company for a pre-determination. You want the peace of mind that the insurance will not deny something after the fact becasue they have determined that the type of procedure, materials used or approach is not medically necessary or not usual and customary by their definition. And finally, I echo those that have wished you well, and if no one has said it, that's just a great P car color. Best wishes - A neighor in Bellevue.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Jascha-M
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Randy,

These are all great suggestions and kind good wishes...

I will be glad to chat with you and give a more Surgical / Bioengineering perspective. Please PM me and leave your contact information.

Take care.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Randy:

Sorry to hear about your Heart Valve problem. I will call you when you get back in town.

Best Regards and Best Wishes to you and your family.

Scott
Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy,
Sorry to hear you are going through this. The good news is that you have good options and also some great doctors in your back yard.

I've sent you a PM. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Heart valve replacement...HELP