Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Single malt...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our swilling wine is Stimson Merlot or Cabernet - about a liter a week - for the price, it's really quite good. Chateau Ste Michelle. Otherwise we like mainly darker reds with everything. We learned to drink wine for dinner every night when stationed in Sicily for three years!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
Single malt...
Yes, the Scots are quite underated for their fine amber wines ... I especially enjoy those from the Islay appellation.

For serious reds, well aged Bordeaux are hard to equal. Pommerols, St. Estephe and Pauillacs are favourites here. For less serious enjoyment, the lesser known zones of the generic 'Cote de Rhone' have exceptional wines ... like Cote de Lirac.

So many great wines .... and only one liver ....
Old 02-02-2008, 11:30 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
there remains a preference for the old world wines: France, the improving Italian, Spain, etc. I believe per capita consumption of vintage port is among the highest in the world.

Many of the new world wines are technically strong in a tasting setting, but often heavy, alcoholic, sweetish, one-dimensional and lacking the natural balance with acidity and tannins that makes a winning wine. The natural herbaceousness and that comes from terroir is often non-existent. That's somewhat of a generalization, because there are some phenomenal Californian, Australian, and South American wines. However, they are, in my experience, not the rule.
We're also down with the Spanish wines here in CA. Trader Joe's has tons! But lately, the French wine industry seems to be very analogous to the US auto industry...
Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
avidtest
Racer

I've been a beer connoisseur for ever, and still am (maybe I'll start a favorite beer thread!) but have started enjoying wines over the last 3 or 4 years. Reds only. And when it comes to wines, I'm a cheap ***. Some of the more sophisticated palettes may disagree, but lately, I've been liking the Yellow Tale Shiraz a lot - $5.49 at Trader Joes. It's a little on the sweet side but easy to drink. For a while, I was drinking various $15 - $25 bottles, but never really found any that appealed to me as much. Couldn't justify paying more for less. That said, I'd like to know how the YT Shiraz rates, form those of you with more discerning palette than mine.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Mostly Reds: Silver Oak, Opus One, Hedges special reserves, assorted Chilean wines.
+1

Stags Leap and Cakebread as well.

I have a likening from Chateau branded French wines.

I tend to drink red wines that run in the $25-$40 dollar range. I dont drink it that much but when I do, I like the whole bottle and good wine.

Dont drink that many whites but I do like Trimbach Gewertzraminer

Found a good little bottle of $16 Da Vinci Chianti 2005 that I bring out when I have guests. Have several bottles on hand.

Me dont like 2 buck chuck.....but have drank it a handful of times.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:38 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Big fan of Caymus and Cakebread. In the white category the cakebread sauvignon blanc is a hit. Both do some great cabs. Also enjoy nickle & nickle cab and Mt. Veeder cab from time to time.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:17 AM
vernon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi I really like a good cab also My three are Cakebrerd 03 I also really like B V Georges De Latour 02 an 03 an just really a great Cab is Palmaz Vineyards 2002 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Vernon 1995 993 Black on Black Cabrio
Old 02-03-2008, 11:55 AM
gab997
Racer

Pinot Noir: Domain Serene Evenstad Reserve
Merlot: Duckhorn
Cab Sav: N&N Dragonfly, BV George Latour, Phelps Insignia, Silver Oak-Napa, Dunn.
Blends: Jarvis Lake William, Justin Isosceles.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thunderbird
Night train
Boones farm
Mad dog 20 20
Old 02-03-2008, 01:41 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by avidtest
but lately, I've been liking the Yellow Tale Shiraz a lot - $5.49 at Trader Joes. It's a little on the sweet side but easy to drink. That said, I'd like to know how the YT Shiraz rates, form those of you with more discerning palette than mine.
I just picked up a Yellow Tail Shiraz this week and wound up dumping half the bottle, which I NEVER do. I think I found their Chard fairly offensive, but I forced it down anyway. If you want to explore Down Undah, I really enjoy Black Swan Cab-Merlot on the cheap end and several Penfold's reds around $10-$12, as others have mentioned.

That said, the first rule of wine tasting is buy what you like, which makes this thread a little pointless. You can see by the huge variety of what we're drinking...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like we have a lot of Silver Oak fans here in the 993 forum, FWIW, when we were in Maui in 2005, the Costco right by the airport had both Sonoma and Napa valley Silver Oak, for $45 and $85 respectively. I think they were 98s.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Sounds like we have a lot of Silver Oak fans here in the 993 forum, FWIW, when we were in Maui in 2005, the Costco right by the airport had both Sonoma and Napa valley Silver Oak, for $45 and $85 respectively. I think they were 98s.
Honestly, for the price there are much better Cabs to be had than Silver Oak. And further, I think that the less expensive Sonoma bottling is better than the Napa. At least this was the case when I was at the tasting room 2 years ago. I tend to believe that the draw to Silver Oak is more of a name recognition and prestige thing just like Opus One. When is the last time that Opus was a highly rated wine (in fact it's not) but yet people shell out the big bucks for it.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 AM
dmwallace
Instructor

Lots of very nice wines mentioned so far; here are a few favorites:

Ridge Lytton Springs Zinfandel (Sonoma)
Ravenswood Dickerson Zinfandel (Napa)
Vinum Pets Petite Sirah (Clarksburg CA)
Bogle Phantom (CA)
Schild Estate Shiraz (Barossa)
Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf du Pape Rouge (Rhone)
Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf du Pape Blanc “Vieilles Vignes” (Rhone)
Grant Burge The Holy Trinity Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre (Barossa)

Cheers!

Regards,
David

Quick Reply: What wines do 993 owners drink?