Brakes bleed very slowly

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:19 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Brakes bleed very slowly

I use a pressure bleeder on the track car (1995 993 with stock calipers). Each winter year I flush the system.
This winter it seems that the flushing is extremely slow; there is no obvious obstruction, bleeder nipples are open the usual amount, and pressure on the bleeder is the normal level. Same slow rate on all 4 wheels.
Any suggestions as to why the fluid would be flowing so slowly?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:28 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I often times find 964's and 993's with this sort of trouble while bleeding brakes. With a bleeder open and the pressure bleeder connected, I'll ask someone to tap the brake pedal to give the system a little push. This usually clears-out any sludge or that milky white coagulated brake fluid, as I tend to call it.

After a tap of the brake pedal while at each corner of the car, it usually makes the next round of bleeding like normal. By next round, I mean I will go around the car one more time for a final bleed.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was taught to start the engine briefly for the pedal tapping at each corner. Not certain of the incremental benefit. The other problem might be the MA winter...go Giants!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this and the technician said it would make sense to change the bleed nipples next time to make things easier/
Old 01-30-2008, 05:25 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Chris,

I used my hand to gently push the pedal rather than using foot to avoid excessive pressure as you only need a small amount of pressure to get the flow going.

Harry
Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Great advice; thank you.
CHRIS - what's with Knightsbridge? I'll be there there in a few weeks. I love the variety of cars parked along the streets (exotics); what a waste.
Chuck - I knew somebody would comment on the winter, but the car is in a warm (though not heated) garage - 50+ degrees.
Who are these Giants to which you refer?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 379 Posts

I've never seen that waxy build up seen in the brake fluid in a 993 in other cars no matter how poorly maintained. Anyone know what causes it?

Sound like Rick has it in a very well maintaned system.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:22 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I often times find 964's and 993's with this sort of trouble while bleeding brakes. With a bleeder open and the pressure bleeder connected, I'll ask someone to tap the brake pedal to give the system a little push. This usually clears-out any sludge or that milky white coagulated brake fluid, as I tend to call it.
Bingo - I tried this today and worked beautifully. I was a bit surprised to see how much crud came out.
In the future I think I will include the brake tap with the pressure bleed.
Thanks, Chris and everyone else that helped.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:43 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Good work. Glad it helped. I maintain a RSA for a friend and quite a famous vintage racing motorcycle collector, that I ended up completely removing a bleeder nipple with 10psi on the system -- still no fluid flow! I applied a little hand pressure on the brake pedal, still no flow. Had to climb in the car and use my foot -- after pressing quite hard, it finally blew out -- wow!

The Knightsbridge avatar I had last week was from a picture I shot while in the 'tube' system in downtown London. Quite a system they have there that seems to be a pretty efficient way to get around. My wife and I enjoyed the experience!

Quick Reply: Brakes bleed very slowly