993 Forum 1995-1998

Re-cover center console

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-cover center console

Hey guys, I just got some leather and vinyl samples from Veteran's company today and I'm thinking about re-covering my center console. The vinyl that is on it now has a couple rips or tears in it and I'd like to go from classic grey to black. I've never done anything like this and a quick search didn't really turn up anything. Can I just remove the old vinyl covering somehow and use 3M spray adhesive to put the new stuff on, or is it more involved than that? Has anyone done this? I'm also thinking about doing my door panels too.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

Ron,

you can give it a try. If you can cut the pattern the exact same way as the vinyl was cut it could work Contact Rob Budd @ the www.928leathershop.com for advice or Paul Champagne@ www.designpaulchampagne.com.

Good Luck
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't done it but I've certainly messed around with the part enough to think that it should be fairly easy. Sure, "easy" is relative, but yeah I think you can do it. 3M Spray might work fine, but I'd be inclined to use contact cement. A bit easier to work with on complex parts/shapes and totally durable.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
Hey guys, I just got some leather and vinyl samples from Veteran's company today and I'm thinking about re-covering my center console. The vinyl that is on it now has a couple rips or tears in it and I'd like to go from classic grey to black. I've never done anything like this and a quick search didn't really turn up anything. Can I just remove the old vinyl covering somehow and use 3M spray adhesive to put the new stuff on, or is it more involved than that? Has anyone done this? I'm also thinking about doing my door panels too.
I replaced the tan vinyl w/black leather (also from Veteran) some time ago. Pull off the vinyl covering and remove as much of the old glue from the plastic console as possible. Use the old vinyl cover as a template and cut the leather a bit on the oversize...you can always subtract later but can't add! I used either 3m spray adhesive, contact adhesive or rubber cement...I don't remember which as it was some time ago...the spray adhesive could get messy though. When you lay the leather on top you want to work slowly and stretch/pull to fit the contours...you don't want to stretch too tight as the leather will shrink slightly in the sun. Start with the center of the console and work your way outwards. Once you have all the main surface areas attached you just need to trim the sides and the hole openings and use cement and fold them over. The switch plates and handbrake tray will hold them down. I spent the most time cleaning off the old glue...if you leave too much of it, the console will be "clumpy" under the leather. I also recovered the door panel inserts as well as the bin doors on the RSD kit.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Where did you get the leather & vinyl?

Quick Reply: Re-cover center console