Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Slicks on 993

Old 01-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harry races too and I'm guessing that he's most concerned there ...

A 3.8 might supply the power to get to sub 2:00 at TH in a 3000 lb car, but I think it would be tough. While I'm a Turtle, my best is 2:00 at TH and 1:47 at SP with a 3.6 in a 2500 lb car with slicks (very hard compound though).
Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin:

As Tom surmised, my intention is entirely racing related. My 993 is built to PCA club racing's old C class (now H class under the relettering). I'm tired of using the MPSCs for club racing as I'm a sitting duck for the first two laps until the temperature builds up and then I think they are decent but still a bit slower than the Hoosiers. I was using them as they last seemingly forever and I was really focusing on my driving and just getting more experience. At this point, however, I'm ready to move on to the Hoosiers or a similarly grippy DOT-R for club racing.

I was asking about the slicks as out here in California there are very few PCA club races and I was considering what changes I would make to the car to run in POC.

Tom:

It is good to see you are still active on the board. Hope all is well.

Harry
Old 01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by hdemas
Colin:

As Tom surmised, my intention is entirely racing related. My 993 is built to PCA club racing's old C class (now H class under the relettering). I'm tired of using the MPSCs for club racing as I'm a sitting duck for the first two laps until the temperature builds up and then I think they are decent but still a bit slower than the Hoosiers. I was using them as they last seemingly forever and I was really focusing on my driving and just getting more experience. At this point, however, I'm ready to move on to the Hoosiers or a similarly grippy DOT-R for club racing.

I was asking about the slicks as out here in California there are very few PCA club races and I was considering what changes I would make to the car to run in POC.

Tom:

It is good to see you are still active on the board. Hope all is well.

Harry

harry, are you coming to GGR at infineon?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Harry races too and I'm guessing that he's most concerned there ...

A 3.8 might supply the power to get to sub 2:00 at TH in a 3000 lb car, but I think it would be tough. While I'm a Turtle, my best is 2:00 at TH and 1:47 at SP with a 3.6 in a 2500 lb car with slicks (very hard compound though).
I was already sub-2:03 on the 4 year old Hoosiers Kim supplied with the car. Likewise John in his GT3RS and I were running ~2:04 last summer, both of us on Toyo's (again, 4 year old tires).

I've got a qual time from a PRC race with the old RSA, bone stock @ 2800 lbs down to the catalytic converter, save for shocks/springs/brake pads/Hoosiers @ 2:03.5.

All times listed are full track w/ cyclone.

So back to the question at hand. Yeah, for RACING, gotta get off the Michelins. I ran them when I first did the RSA and it sucked. Giving up 2 seconds, especially when the guys from the Midwest had their Cup cars running in D, was frustrating! Jongbloed wheel guy and that Raspberry one. Similarly, one race at Sears, Galen Bieker was sitting at 1:50 flat in Bob Rodriguez's car.....and I'm struggling for 1:53 or so.

With PRC it isn't going to matter as no one brings out an alphabet car. If you run yours on slicks in GT class, well you'll end up where you end up and it might actually be more fun.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I personally would not run slicks at DEs . . . But to purposely upgrade to slicks just seems like a waste. If you really want to get better, go racing... you'll improve 1000% more than trying out slicks.
+1. Nothing makes you faster other than realizing how slow you initially are and trying to figure out how to become a better driver.

Originally Posted by hdemas

Harry,

I've never had a problem getting MPSC's to stick well. It might take maybe one lap in very cold weather to start pushing them hard, IME.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree about slicks being a waste at DE's. That's like saying any performance upgrade is a waste for DE. Overkill maybe ... but not a waste.

BRAND NEW slicks ... now they would be a waste ... but used ones ... no.

Keep in mind that used ones are less than 1/3 the price of MPSC's and I knocked 5 secs off of my best lap time at CMP immediately after two years with street tires. Quite the revelation. Good bang for your buck!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harry: Just come and race with PRC. Car class will not matter and you'll have a ton of fun. You could even take the white car and turn it into a GTL car and then have even more fun ...

John: You running another GGR event? Unfortunately, I'll likely miss the first one. Not sure the car will be done and I'm heading out to Beaver Creek for a week of skiing. 1st race is with PRC March 8/9 - but I'll probably do the NCRC event at TH March 29/30 ... you going?

Ken: You're faster than I am... I'm just a Turtle out there
Old 01-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Used slicks- I always wondered. When the time comes, where's a good place to source in the SE?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For Used Slicks call Bob Chick at (843) 762-7324
Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 what he said ^^^^ Bob's the man! Knows exactly what should fit and work for your needs!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark: I actually really like the MPSCs and the way they handle, and think they are a great tire for DE purposes. They are a bit edgy but really reward neat and tidy driving. That being said, for club racing I'm rather tired of chasing cars on Hoosiers where the other car could miss the apex and take a rather sub-optimal line and still somehow carry as much or more mid-corner speed than me. We'll see how I feel after the switch. BTW, for you and me it is nice to see the changes they finally made to the PCA club racing classifications...our cars still are not particularly competitive in their respective classes, but at least they moved some of the cars that didn't belong into higher classes.

Ken: Your times are right where I would expect at all of those tracks. The guys in D running 1:50s at Sears at the last club race there in 2002 were fast, though with cars quite optimized to their classes. My best at Sears is around a high 1:53 or low 1:54 on MPSCs, though it was at the February GGR event where tire temps were on the low side. Interestingly enough, Bob Rodriguez you mention was my instructor at my first-ever DE event at Fontana in 2003, and I remember his D car.

John and Tom: I'll be missing Infineon for the first time 5 years. I moved to Los Angeles over the winter...hence my interest in POC. The only GGR event I might make this year is Buttonwillow. My interest in POC is also because from what I can tell my 993 can be much more favorably classed there than in PRC, where there are no cars in the stock classes and I'll be at the tail end of the field in GT. As for the 964, it also would appear to be better suited to POC rules and I don't plan on making it anywhere near as extreme as yours, so it probably won't be catching "The Turtle" anytime soon.

Harry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slicks on 993