Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Did the cooler fan relay jump test today ..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:55 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did the cooler fan relay jump test today ..

... And the news is not good!

No low fan , but the hi fan jump worked okay .. I then got my car up to temp and let it idle a while for the temp to rise , it went up to just under the 10pm position before the fan kicked in , ran on hi for about 30 seconds and then cycled off again. So until I get this sorted , I'm going to have to be careful to avoid traffic jams , luckily easily done where I live.

My question is , does this mean my ballast resistor is kaput or could it be something else .. ?
Old 01-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ballast resistor it is.

To allay your overheating fears, as a temporary fix, you can pull the plug on the sensor located behind the right headlight assembly, and the fan will keep running at high speed at all times. The action of the thermostat controlling oil flow into the cooler is unchanged. Do a search here, and the procedure should come up eventually.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks very much ed , I should have said I've done a good search , learned loads , and have read the P.CAR/FAN item a half dozen times , but it remained unclear to me whether my problem was definitely resistor based or more the dreaded climate$ control$ unit$.
I've seen posts on running the fan on full and will opt for this til I get a chance to do a resistor fix.

However it's good to have the problem pinned on the resistor. Thanks again ...

Now if I could only turn back time on my first door ding (The wind blew the door against a post box this afternoon )
Old 01-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well...

...I had (have) the same issue and I replaced the ballast resistor and the temp sensor and the problem still exists. I'm stumped - as usual.

Originally Posted by shamrock
... And the news is not good!

No low fan , but the hi fan jump worked okay .. I then got my car up to temp and let it idle a while for the temp to rise , it went up to just under the 10pm position before the fan kicked in , ran on hi for about 30 seconds and then cycled off again. So until I get this sorted , I'm going to have to be careful to avoid traffic jams , luckily easily done where I live.

My question is , does this mean my ballast resistor is kaput or could it be something else .. ?
Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

In my opinion, don't bother replacing the ballast resistor, just do the high-speed fan over-ride and put yourself in control of lower temperatures by keeping it below where even the low-speed fan would kick in.

Quick Reply: Did the cooler fan relay jump test today ..