Sponsored by:

Headlamp Issue Redux

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:58 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Headlamp Issue Redux

About two months ago, I started getting the "one-eyed 993" syndrome where the left headlamp would not light when the switch was on.

Did the requisite search, found the appropriate thread, pulled the assembly, reshaped the retainer spring, put it back together and it was fine...For about two weeks...

Repeated the process and the spring was fine this time but after disconnecting and reconnecting everything I had two headlamps lit...For about two weeks...

Today, I have a one-eyed car again but this time I simply tapped on the lens of the headlamp and the bulb lit...Turned the switch off and on...No light in the bulb...Tapped the lens...Bulb on...

Before I start tearing into this again does anyone have a suggestion? I'm tempted to get a new bulb, but the mechanic in me says that "hanging parts" without knowing the cause of the problem doesn't get it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
TMc
Old 01-26-2008, 03:20 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be the connector in the headlamp bucket. On my car the headlight aiming motor stopped reacting to the switch in the car. I bought a new motor, stripped the headlight and installed new motor. Plugged it back in the headlamp eye socket and ... nothing. After fiddling with it, including removing the wheel liner to access the back of the light whilst the light was installed and bingo, it worked. The plastic retainer for the connector is quite flimsy and will distort allowing only partial engagement with the plug. Push it from behind and if this works you may need to align the connector again which is a bit of a pain. You loosen the bolts holding the plastic connector housing in the fender bucket and have a friend push on the lamp from the front. Push in the connector into the back of the headlamp firmly from inside the wheel well and tighten the bolts. Worked for me, hope it sorts you too.

Regards
GR
Old 01-26-2008, 04:48 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Nevermind...I found the problem...It was the wire clip again...I'm a dumbass.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:45 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a revised clip assembly available from Porsche. Part number is:

000 043 204 28

chuck
Old 01-27-2008, 08:18 AM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts