Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: LCD 'widescreen' monitor set up issue ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default OT: LCD 'widescreen' monitor set up issue ??

I have easily exceeded my limited computer skills, and would appreciate some help to feed my Rennlist addiction .
I am going bug eyed trying to read the incredibly small font size of the Rennlist threads as displayed by my snappy new LCD monitor .... I cannot figure out how to increase the font size in the posts - so here's the story.
The old 17" 4:3 LCD monitor was replaced with a 20" 16:10 widescreen: the two are running side by side driven by different PC'c, each on XP Pro. The 'old' is cooking along as always at 1024x768, and is very readable. The 'new' ( an LG L206 WTY) is set at the recommended 1680x1050 ... and is razor sharp.
For the 20" LG, I have entered control panel/display properties/appearance to increase the font size to 'Xlarge', and then to 'settings'/advanced to increase from 96 to 120 DPI. This bit of wizardry worked wonders for the Windows headers, ebay, and every other site known to the www.http .... however, Rennlist is left with type size small enough to have my retinas pleading for help

I have gone through 'user CP' on this site to no avail: the striking difference noted between the two parallel set ups is that the 17" 4:3 screen requires four (4) page scrolls of the mouse to cover the vertical array of 40 posts per page, showing 17 post headers per full screen .... the 20" 16:10 requires three (3) such wheel scrolls, as it shows 22 post headers per screen. This ~30% extra per screen is a vertical compression that could explain the compressed type size.
If that is the issue, any ideas how to correct it? ..... or is there some other incredibly simple set up trick that I cannot figure out?

This is one of those days that I hate computers ..... for they throw salt into my raw incompetence.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No trick--JohnD just likes it really small. Over on Pelican, Wayne has it set up with huge fonts.

Hold down the ctrl key and scroll your mouse wheel to enlarge for one session. Or, if you're using Firefox, under Tools|Options|Content you can set a minimum font size. Try 14.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Right click on your desktop and select properties/personalize. On the screen that opens, select display settings. You can change resolution size there.

Quick Reply: OT: LCD 'widescreen' monitor set up issue ??