SAI and Two speed idle test

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking SAI and Two speed idle test

Hey Guys,

I recently found a loophole in my states emissions testing. Apparently, if a car's OBD II system fails to communicate with the state's analyzer, the car will undergo a two speed idle test with an emissions 'sniffer'. So my question is, if my SAI ports are somewhat clogged (unsucessfully tried to flush, 1 port wouldn't budge) will my car pass a 2 speed idle test? Thinking of all the junk on the road, I can't see how it wouldn't be able to. Is anyone is familiar with this area? Looks like tonight my OBD system will conveniently 'fail' to communicate. (evil laugh)

Also, I would like to thank everyone for their help with this SAI problem. Through the help of this board and p-car/diy I was able to change all my SAI valves and complete a flush with not having much diy experience at all. You all have saved me a lot of money and as a result I will def becoming a paying member in the next couple of weeks! Now I can save all the money I would have used at the shop on my RS flywheel and clutch setup coming to my 993 this spring. Briliant!!

Regards,

Kevin M.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:46 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which state do you live in?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SAI shouldn't matter as it only exists to clean the air (by diluting exhaust with fresh air) while the car and cats are cold. Make sure they do the test with the car at operating temp.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Here in Utah if the OBD doesn't communicate it's an automatic fail.

Two years ago I had a CEL due to a vacuum line being disconnected. Then the readiness flags weren't set for two visits for emmisions test. I took it to the County shop to be refereed with printed info from the internet about the SAI issue and what it would cost to fix it and the issue with getting the readiness codes set. When I pulled in the tech says, "A 993? We'll do the tailpipe test." They did and it passed. No charge because I had paid for the first test.

If you can get the tail pipe test emmisions should be no problem if the car is warm (cat hot), SAI working or not.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:05 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys,

I am located in RI. Here is the language from the inspections website:

"The OBD inspection evaluates your vehicle's emissions status via its onboard computer. The OBD inspection occurs through the connection of the OBD-II SAE standardized vehicle port to the inspection analyzer.

An on-board diagnosis system inspection failure occurs when either:

More than two monitors in a vehicle's on-board computer are not set as ready; or,
Current Diagnostic Trouble Codes are indicated and the Malfunction Indicator Light is commanded on.
Connection: To start the procedure, the inspector connects a communication cable from emissions analyzer to the Diagnostic Link Connector located in your vehicle. The emissions analyzer simply reads data from your vehicle's computer; no changes are made to your vehicle or its data.

Communication: If the vehicle's OBD system is not communicating with inspection analyzer, the vehicle will undergo the appropriate exhaust emissions test."

Does anyone know if the OBD port is driven by a fuse? What do you think is the best way to temporarily disable its "communication"?

Quick Reply: SAI and Two speed idle test