Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to decide: TPC supercharger or Twin Turbo conversion? Detailed analysis.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric,
thanks for the analysis... looking forward to your results. I am also on the same fence (for future mods). I would rather hold onto my car and not have to trade up to tt - in the spirit of upgrading and nostalgic value etc. etc. Also interested in the track use feasibility. The turbo conversion definitely seems like the better choice. I know you've pulled the trigger on Protomotive... but just curious if you had looked at the powerhaus and the turbokraft conversions?? If so, why protomotive vice the others? ($$$?) Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks...

Arun
Old 04-08-2008, 12:13 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Eric,

We were in the same position, but I decided to trade up. I'm facing a bigger re-learning curve, and other unexpected expenses and challenges that were solved in my 993. Do you still have the stock gear ratios? That made a really big difference for me. Anyway, this is about more than power...it is an adventure, and I'm really eager to get a ride with you and share the thrill. I'm waiting with baited breath......
Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'll probably need it once I start installing!
Originally Posted by FLYT993
Looks like a helluva, upgrade! When is D-Day??
Tomorrow, according to FedEx.

Originally Posted by jungleboy
... just curious if you had looked at the powerhaus and the turbokraft conversions?? If so, why protomotive vice the others? ($$$?)...
Turbokraft's price is much higher- $18,500 - and they require you to ship them your car. Plus they've only done 3. Can't remember why I ruled out Powerhaus, but I know they also don't allow DIY.

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
...I'm really eager to get a ride with you and share the thrill....
If you're going to Mid-O with the Audi club on July 4, you'll definitely get a ride. Shon & I signed up.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic of the Protomotive kit installed in my car (pass side). I've driven the car, but I'm withholding any commentary until I've broken in the turbos and can get into the boost. A full writeup is coming once it's all done. Still working out a few little kinks but looking ok so far.
Attached Images    
Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

how did the install go? how much time? how difficult?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:44 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow...I know what you did this past weekend Eric...
Old 04-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Eric! Can't wait to go for a ride in it once the break in miles are complete
Old 04-21-2008, 02:06 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Oh my! Looks very nice. Is that intercooler from a Peterbilt?

Andreas
Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What's that mashed-up piece of metal on the left in the 2nd pic? Is that the bumper?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:18 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Eric,
Good for you. You must be very excited to get on it. Keep us informed. And...do you have a V1?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbf73
how did the install go? how much time? how difficult?
Install went ok, but I feel it's almost too early to say since I haven't really fully tested the system. Hardest part so far was removing the intake runners, left and right, which was required to get to the oil supply. I spent a total of around 45 hrs so far, but that could easily become 65+ depending.

Originally Posted by brucec59
What's that mashed-up piece of metal on the left in the 2nd pic? Is that the bumper?
When you remove the bumper cover, you're left with this thin metal heat shield that protects the plastic bumper. It doesn't look that bad in person.

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Oh my! Looks very nice. Is that intercooler from a Peterbilt?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! I am patiently awaiting your full writeup. My only concern is turbo lag with all that piping and bends. Protosport, a compnay that resells and installs this tt kit claims turbo lag is less than a stock 993 TT due to the compression of the na motor. I will await your feedback. Great job with install!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Brett B
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Install went ok, but I feel it's almost too early to say since I haven't really fully tested the system. Hardest part so far was removing the intake runners, left and right, which was required to get to the oil supply. I spent a total of around 45 hrs so far, but that could easily become 65+ depending.

When you remove the bumper cover, you're left with this thin metal heat shield that protects the plastic bumper. It doesn't look that bad in person.

Looks pretty good so far. For the oil supply, did you tap into the housing for the oil pressure sender?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:20 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brett B
Looks pretty good so far. For the oil supply, did you tap into the housing for the oil pressure sender?
I think that's right. There's a port just behind the oil temp sensor that goes to the main oil galley. Not sure why the port is there, but it is. Here's a pic:

p.s. as you can see, the SAI system went bye-bye. No need, since I dont' have cats now anyway.
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Brett B
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I think that's right. There's a port just behind the oil temp sensor that goes to the main oil galley. Not sure why the port is there, but it is. Here's a pic:

p.s. as you can see, the SAI system went bye-bye. No need, since I dont' have cats now anyway.
Yep, that's it. Let us know how you like it once it's all broken in. Although it's much different then yours, my NA-based turbo setup has been a blast.

Quick Reply: How to decide: TPC supercharger or Twin Turbo conversion? Detailed analysis.