Sponsored by:

RS carpet install -- Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RS carpet install -- Help!!!

I am trying to install the RS carpet kit from Appbiz into my 993.

For those that have already done this, how do you fit and shape the center tunnel piece in the back? Circled in green in the pic below.

I started out gluing from the front end near the hand brake lever. I can't seem to get the carpet to lay straight where it beginning to meet the rear seat.

What's your trick to get this piece to lay correctly?

thanks,
anthony
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

I wish I could help you with that. I am searching for a black left driver carpet, the one that has the leather square footrest and goes on the side to the rear, between door and seat. The leather footrest on mine is not in perfect condition, and I am looking for one in great condition to buy. regards
Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did mine I started in the back and worked forward. Your forward piece will be hid under your center console. Dry fit your piece first and find your center spot. Put your glue or velcro down and work from the center line down. If you get a wrinkle just pull it up while your glue is tacky and smooth out. If your carpet set is thin like the felt in the picture it will show the natural shape of the metal underneath. Good luck. You will nave to do some cutting of some reliefs around where the carpet meets the sharp edge of the metal at the base of the seat area to get it to all lay flat.
Originally Posted by axl911
I am trying to install the RS carpet kit from Appbiz into my 993.

For those that have already done this, how do you fit and shape the center tunnel piece in the back? Circled in green in the pic below.

I started out gluing from the front end near the hand brake lever. I can't seem to get the carpet to lay straight where it beginning to meet the rear seat.

What's your trick to get this piece to lay correctly?

thanks,
anthony
Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Carpet will deform and stretch. When I did the carpet in my old RS replica, I used the following sophisticated technique to stretch the carpet over a bulge: hold the middle of the carpet section down with your knee (on a foam pad), and pull up gently or firmly as needed around the edges.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:51 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Uh oh....I started at the other end (front of car) instead of the rear to get that section lined up correctly on the tunnel. I already glued it in place.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:10 PM
appbiz
Track Day

Bob at APPBIZ here
If you need some more material give me a call next week
Bob
310-539-6183
bob@appbiz.com
Old 01-26-2008, 04:43 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by appbiz
Bob at APPBIZ here
If you need some more material give me a call next week
Bob
310-539-6183
bob@appbiz.com
Bob,

I will be calling you on Monday. I need the correct rear seat covers.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ava6603
Bob,

I will be calling you on Monday. I need the correct rear seat covers.
Looking good ava6603. I just did a champane to black conversion on my stock race car. Yours is comming out very nice...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Southampton76
Racer

Go to the 964 board, ThomasC2 I think has some detailed shots. I just did mine. He will send them to you. Need to go back to front. I screwed mine up but managed to hide my mistakes. I found that you dont have to glue everything down as they carpet set will sit in the right place. Dry fit first, then glue down. There is a lot of cutting and carpet overlap.

Good luck
Old 01-27-2008, 11:30 AM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gasser
Looking good ava6603. I just did a champane to black conversion on my stock race car. Yours is comming out very nice...

Thanks! I am very pleased with the outcome of dying interior from blue to black. Some people say this decreases the value of the car. I beg to differ as the black in my, friends and family opinion completely transformed the car in a very positive way. No one I know cared for the blue interior much. So I would say the conversion has improved the value of the car and increases resale. My wife commented that I made a good choice changing the 'Miami Vice' interior. Whatever that means, I took it as a posiitive. Regarding the RS carpet. I started out with an incorrect kit. Some of the front pieces were for an older 911, not 964. I need to purchase additional pieces from Appbiz to finish up. The RS rear delete kit is a must when installing a roll bar, it really transforms the car and cleans up lines from the bulky side panels and rear deck cover. I pulled a muscle in my back from dying my headliner, so my wife is not allowing me to go in the garage today. I will admit, I sneak in there every so often just to take a peek at my progress.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

I agree, the RS kit with out all that rear junk looks so much better. I agree about your black conversion as well. Lets see pics when you are all done.

I just installed RS door panels, well, panel as my drivers door is gutted for the door bars on my cage. I will post pics in a few days when I get back to the car. Now if I could just get my front hub off the ^&#* car.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Stupid question time: did you do this with the roll bar in place?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ritter
No. Was out getting powder coated.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ritter
I did mine with the cage in place as it is welded in. It was not bad but I was a little stiff the next morning...
Old 01-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Thats where mine is- good time to do the carpet.

Quick Reply: RS carpet install -- Help!!!