How can I tell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Gino993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How can I tell?

Hey you gurus,

How can I tell if this P-car that I just bought is really a Carrera 4? It does have the 'Carrera 4' emblem in the back it doesn't always mean that it is. I tried to do a search for it but couldn't find anything on the topic. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm far from a guru but I can give some easy answers:

1. Check to see if there is a front differential/front driveshaft/etc.
2. Go drive around in the snow (if you can find any in AZ)!
3. Check to see if you have power assisted breaks (I think all C4's came with these to cope with the added weight)
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Silver brake calipers would be one C4 characteristic.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Gino993
Instructor

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I'm far from a guru but I can give some easy answers:

1. Check to see if there is a front differential/front driveshaft/etc.
2. Go drive around in the snow (if you can find any in AZ)!
3. Check to see if you have power assisted breaks (I think all C4's came with these to cope with the added weight)
Thanks Adam, I'll have to go see if I have that front differential/front driveshaft. Pretty hard to find snow around here though

Originally Posted by Paul M
Silver brake calipers would be one C4 characteristic.
Paul, I do have silver brake calipers so that's a good sign. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Look at the Vin number, then go to http://p-car.com/vin.html and do a comparison and it will tell you for sure
Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Gino993
Instructor

Originally Posted by dhicks
Look at the Vin number, then go to http://p-car.com/vin.html and do a comparison and it will tell you for sure
That confirmed it. Thanks David! I just love this place!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Also, you can call PCNA and give them the VIN. They can tell you what you have.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Gino993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Also, you can call PCNA and give them the VIN. They can tell you what you have.
Thanks Mark. The link that David gave me confirmed that the car is actually a Carrera 4.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
roebedo
Instructor

Gino...

Where are the pic's. Did you take a drive up the B-Line yet? Looking forward to seeing your car. My mom just moved to Fountain Hills.. so I'm over there quite often, I'm sure I'll see it around town.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Gino,
Did I miss a post on how your car turned out? Would like to hear some details! Was concerned about the CEL and some of the other things mentioned in previous thread after you bought the car.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Gino993
Instructor

Originally Posted by roebedo
Gino...

Where are the pic's. Did you take a drive up the B-Line yet? Looking forward to seeing your car. My mom just moved to Fountain Hills.. so I'm over there quite often, I'm sure I'll see it around town.
Hey Mike, sorry I haven't gotten around to taking any pics. Let's just say that I'm a little disappointed with the condition of the car and didn't want to post any pics until I've taken care of some of the issues. When do you think you'll be around Fountain Hills? I'd like to meet up and get your honest opinion on the car. I work from home most of the time so just PM me if you want to meet at Starbucks or something...I'll even buy you the biggest latte or beers at Babes if you prefer

Anyway, I know the questions will come so I'm beating you to the punch. Here's a quick rundown of the condition of the car when I got it....

Cons:
- Right HID headlight flickers on and off while driving. Already fixed this by taking out the headlight unit (Thanks to RL posts ) and re-seating the connector in the back.
- As already pointed out, the seats were more worn than what it should be @ 55,200 miles. (I ordered a set of seat covers from fleabay since I currently don't have the funds to replace the seats but was pleasantly surprised by the product....looks awesome! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110210342388
- Manuals weren't shipped with the car so I don't know what all the buttons are for. PO said he'll ship it over.
- Never trust a picture...there were more scratches and dings than the pictures show.
- The air filter is filthy...I've already ordered a replacement.
- The right-rear tire was flat.
- The passenger door doesn't open from the inside. Looks like the latch behind the panel got disconnected.
- The integrated V1 doesn't work (I haven't even started to troubleshoot this)

Pros:
- No CEL! Woohoo!
- The top is in great condition and works flawlessly.
- The engine starts with no problem, idle is a little rough, but power is good.
- Varioram works because I could definitely hear it when it kick in ...especially with the top down.
- I really like how the painted 18" turbo twists turned out ...charcoal gray. I still need to drop the car about an inch and it'll look good.
- I don't know the kind of rear spoiler this is but I actually like it. I know a lot of people hate it but I like the way it looks with the top down...with the top up?....ehhhh
- No engine leaks...as far as I can see...by the way, the engine pan (is that what it's called?) is already gone.
- The RS front lips will be installed soon and I'm having them re-spray the front bumper while they're at it. Might as well have the bumperettes removed as well (Slippery slope!!! )

I think that's it. I'll post more updates and pics soon. Peace!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Gino993
Instructor

By the way, if anybody is planning on using Vertex Automotive in Florida to do their PPI...DON'T!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Gino993
Instructor

Quick update... I took it to the emissins testing facility in Scottsdale this afternoon....failed! Here are the trouble codes:
P1691
P1127
P1129
P1123
p1125
...I think I have bad O2 sensors.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Gino993
Instructor

Attachment 246857
Originally Posted by roebedo
Gino...

As requested, here are some pics. Ride height lowering and RS splitters soon to come. You can kinda see what the painted turbo wheels look like. The shop did not paint the center caps so I'll do that on my own and just paint around the Porsche crest. I also included a shot of the seats to show what the seat covers look like.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: How can I tell?