993 Forum 1995-1998

twin-plug 'drum roll' ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:26 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default twin-plug 'drum roll' ?

ok, I have searched for 'drum roll' but of course get the various uses of the term to imply 'here it comes' (i.e. when a drum roll is heard before a punch line).

I have searched for 'twin plug' and found lots of info (even found a very good article outside rennlist here -> http://porsche.unix-fu.org/porsche-s...-quite-25.html

My question is based on:
1) me being a mechanical, engine & electronics neophyte. I can change oil, brake fluid, brake pads, air filters, etc. That's pretty much where I draw the line. I'm smart enough to know that I probably shouldn't try more complex DIYs, so that's where I take the car to the pros. Detailing is more my strong suit than mechanicals.

2) I've had a 996 and a 911sc, both single-plug engines

In driving my '95 C2 that I got in December, I'll describe a 'sound' or 'feeling' I'd describe as an 'accelerated drum roll'. I'm assuming that what I'm hearing/feeling is a twin-plug engine, never having driven one before.

My car had it's 60k service done right before I got it, and looking at the service
records it wants for nothing.

Can someone tell me (without driving it of course) if what I'm hearing/feeling is related to the twin-plug design ?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably best if you linked up with another R-lister and listened to his car vis-a-vis yours?!

Originally Posted by DB_NC_83SC
ok, I have searched for 'drum roll' but of course get the various uses of the term to imply 'here it comes' (i.e. when a drum roll is heard before a punch line).

I have searched for 'twin plug' and found lots of info (even found a very good article outside rennlist here -> http://porsche.unix-fu.org/porsche-s...-quite-25.html

My question is based on:
1) me being a mechanical, engine & electronics neophyte. I can change oil, brake fluid, brake pads, air filters, etc. That's pretty much where I draw the line. I'm smart enough to know that I probably shouldn't try more complex DIYs, so that's where I take the car to the pros. Detailing is more my strong suit than mechanicals.

2) I've had a 996 and a 911sc, both single-plug engines

In driving my '95 C2 that I got in December, I'll describe a 'sound' or 'feeling' I'd describe as an 'accelerated drum roll'. I'm assuming that what I'm hearing/feeling is a twin-plug engine, never having driven one before.

My car had it's 60k service done right before I got it, and looking at the service
records it wants for nothing.

Can someone tell me (without driving it of course) if what I'm hearing/feeling is related to the twin-plug design ?

Quick Reply: twin-plug 'drum roll' ?