Sponsored by:

I am torn between two cars with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:55 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am torn between two cars with pics

As I had posted before I got the idea that I need another Porsche.

Based on my budget I am looking at a little higher mileage vehicle, around 80k, hopefully thats had the major service items taken care of.

I looked at a cabriolet, I've always been a coupe guy but figured I would look. In the process I also found a coupe that is appealing. I just looked at a cabrio, I had purchased a car from him before and he has always been fair. Here are some pics.

The car has had a new top, brakes, has documentation for service, its a single owner car, had a minor incident with the front bumper, it is slightly a different colour, but that will be fixed. The car will have all issues resolved, and will be stored for me till the spring and I wont have to take possesion(sp?). I couldnt find any documentation of a clutch change, so that may be an issue. This car is fully loaded LSD, ABD, Short Shift, factory phone, paint to sample, motorsound, full leather etc. I cant decipher all the codes. Once I get a PPi all issues will be taken care of.

I have also found a two owner coupe, similar mileage, currently being sold by the center that had serviced it for 5 years(bought off the customer). It has had clutch, flywheel, 75 k service, front brakes, evaporater. It has had paint work on the front bumper and front fenders, my friend said looked really clean. This car does not have any options except cd changer. I cant get a PPI on this car since there arent any other shops in the area and the shop owner wont let me take the car for the day. He is providing a 60 day warranty, but that is useless to me since I will be storing the car once I get it home and he would have to do the service anyways.

As I said I have always had coupes, so I may be biased. Both cars are around the same price, the cabrio is kinda a unique colour, but I love the lines of the coupe.

Any thoughts on which way you would go?

I know that the cab guys will say cab, and the coupe guys will say coupe. This will be a 3rd car, I have a turbo look coupe as well as my beater. This probably wont get on the track, maybe a DE or two.

Last edited by samsnead; 02-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cab might be fun since you've got a coupe already.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:26 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

That surely is an unusual color combination-and for me it REALLY WORKS! I have a cab and it is the first I've ever owned. I love it, but don't track it. There is a thead currently up that has a lot of opinions on this and may help you. Some of it is where you live, but I bought mine when I lived in Maine so go figure. If you go with the cab make sure the recall on the top mechinism has been done (and the wiring loam recall in any early 993.)

Good luck

Al
Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 PM
samsnead
Pro

Thanks for the replies.

The colour is definitely unique, its a paint to sample, no idea what colour it is.

The car was part of the exclusive program, I can't figure out a lot of the options due to that.

The car was given to Mary Pierce by Porsche for winning a grand slam tennis tournament or something, not a tennis guy so I dont know.

Both the top mechanism and wiring harness recalls have been done.

I live outside NYC, I only take out my p cars when the weather is nice, so a cab may be fun. I can get a roll bar if I track it.

I'm going to fly downa nd check out the coupe this week, that will probably just make it harder. I'll want both.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Where are all those p-cars!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:02 PM
frp911
Intermediate

I used to live in Sarasota/Bradenton Area and met Mary a few times. She won this car from a tournament she played in Germany that was sponsored by Porsche. She actually won a couple if not more thru out the years. Her car used to be serviced at the Dealership in Sarasota, FL called Southpoint Porsche, now called Suncoast Porsche.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

No PPI, no buy. I'm a Coupe guy and presently have 2 of them although I want to sell one. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a coupe track car and a cab for the street; I really like getting that top down in our relatively brief summer season. It would be fun to have a street coupe but since you already have one, I'd vote for the cab.
Color is up to you.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:59 PM
samsnead
Pro

Thanks for the advice, I think the fact that I cant get a PPI done is a deal breaker. The only thing that concerns me on the cab is the fact that it hasnt had a clutch done yet, but it may not need it.

I think it would be fun to have a cab, and I dont have the time or the funds to get the car on the track consistently.

I guess that means I will get a PPi done on the cab.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a few convertibles and never again. That being said, I like the unique color, but wonder if the dealership is trying to hide something by not letting you do a PPI. Just my .02.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:00 PM
samsnead
Pro

What didnt you like about the cab?

The dealer that has the cab has no problem with a PPI being done.

Its the dealer that has the coupe that wont let a PPI due to being the only shop in town.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume the front trunk is open in that one pic? If not, you have worse problems with the bumper than the shade of paint.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 PM
samsnead
Pro

I didnt close the trunk all the way.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:20 PM
samsnead
Pro

All gaps match up nicely
Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
Where are all those p-cars!!!
I assume Sloan's based on the license plate bracket in the first pic. But would like confirmation??

Quick Reply: I am torn between two cars with pics