Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Remember my clean ISV? Check out my rusted spoiler drive bearing. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remember my clean ISV? Check out my rusted spoiler drive bearing. (pics)

When I returned home yesterday from a group wrenching session which completed all the 60K stuff and more I had a surprise in my mailbox.

My little sealed bearing had arrived.

That's Richard Hamilton's DIY guide from P-Car and my Ebay SEALED bearing that cost me a whopping $1.49 + $1.49 shipping = $2.98.

Rusty, trashed and ruined bearing...and then all put back together with JB Weld (not in Richards DIY, but JB Weld is highly recommended by 'listers) Went to bed and the next morning reinstalled and BAM..instant silence.

When friends would ride with me and we would come to a stop they would ask, "What's that noise". Covering up the embarssement from that awful grinding sound, I would say; "That's the rear spoiler going down. Isn't that cool?"

I can't believe that silly little bearing could make so much noise. Talk about another no brainer DIY. With the bearing and the new package of JB Weld I spent a total of $7.00 on this project.

For any readers out there who are on the fence about some of this DIY stuff (that was me). Just do it. The sense of accomplishment and new respect for your car is amazing!
Attached Images    
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Mark,
I've done this DIY as well - that case is certainly hard to split!

Andreas
Old 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

What size is that spoiler drive bearing? I've always been curious if it's the same size as a standard skateboard bearing (which are "608" size with a bore of 8mm, an outer diameter of 22mm, and a width of 7mm). There are tons of skateboard bearings out there (some that are pretty water resistant). To go with every other "overkill" item in my car, I wondered if these would work... http://www.skatetechnology.com/
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Marlon
Drifting

NIce job! In order to 'split' my halves, I put the bearing housing in a big bench vise to minimize the possibility of cutting myself with the carpet knife. Now that I think about it again, maybe a heated blade would have been quicker & safer.

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
When I returned home yesterday from a group wrenching session which completed all the 60K stuff and more I had a surprise in my mailbox.

My little sealed bearing had arrived.

That's Richard Hamilton's DIY guide from P-Car and my Ebay SEALED bearing that cost me a whopping $1.49 + $1.49 shipping = $2.98.

Rusty, trashed and ruined bearing...and then all put back together with JB Weld (not in Richards DIY, but JB Weld is highly recommended by 'listers) Went to bed and the next morning reinstalled and BAM..instant silence.

When friends would ride with me and we would come to a stop they would ask, "What's that noise". Covering up the embarssement from that awful grinding sound, I would say; "That's the rear spoiler going down. Isn't that cool?"

I can't believe that silly little bearing could make so much noise. Talk about another no brainer DIY. With the bearing and the new package of JB Weld I spent a total of $7.00 on this project.

For any readers out there who are on the fence about some of this DIY stuff (that was me). Just do it. The sense of accomplishment and new respect for your car is amazing!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
What size is that spoiler drive bearing?
I think it's a size "625".

Andreas
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonzilla
What size is that spoiler drive bearing?
Yep. 625. 5x16x5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-625-2RS-Sealed...sid=p1638.m118
Old 01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work, Mark! Mine looked pretty much the same. Now it's very quiet.

Another source is Boca Bearings

Sealed Bearing MR625 2RSC (5x16x5)

Cost me about $7.95 with shipping about a year ago.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Marlon
Drifting

I got my bearing on Ebay for $1.25 + a couple bucks for shipping. Worked great.

Originally Posted by epj993
Nice work, Mark! Mine looked pretty much the same. Now it's very quiet.

Another source is Boca Bearings

Sealed Bearing MR625 2RSC (5x16x5)

Cost me about $7.95 with shipping about a year ago.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM
scat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not do ebay...Anybody have a contact for the people who sells them? Thanks!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:44 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mark - I'd be very interested in hearing how quiet your spoiler is now - mine has the typical "bolts-in-the-blender" noise...
Old 01-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcwsJim
Hi Mark - I'd be very interested in hearing how quiet your spoiler is now - mine has the typical "bolts-in-the-blender" noise...
Hey Jim! We missed you Saturday, sorry you couldn't make it.

It is silent compared to before.

Lets put our cars side by side and run them up and down. I remember the sound oh to well and once I listen to yours I can tell you if that was the sound mine was making.

I'm in town all week and usually free anytime. I'm happy to come by or you can come my way. Just let me know.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scat
I do not do ebay...Anybody have a contact for the people who sells them? Thanks!
Hey Scat,

Not sure if anyone sent you a PM with the info or not, but I just ordered and received the same bearing that Mark ordered. I'm sure you could order this from the guy via email if you don't want to go through eBay.

Hill Industrial Supply
P.O. Box 293
120 W. Houck St.
Centerburg, OH 43011

The contact there is Bob Hill at bobhill5@earthlink.net

I bought 2 at $1.49 ea and with shipping it came to $4.72

Quick Reply: Remember my clean ISV? Check out my rusted spoiler drive bearing. (pics)