Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sure can get used to a car......

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:40 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sure can get used to a car......

Most everyone knows I've been pounding out the miles in the C4S all over place since September when I unloaded my little Saabaru wagon. At first, it was kinda "so what" to hop in the car and just cruise up and down the freeway back and forth, 50 miles, to the shop. Then maybe in November it clicked, and it was a pleasure to slide into the hardshell sport seats at 5-530AM, twist the key, and go. I'd never driven the thing everyday in the 3+ years I've owned it, and hadn't driven ANY of my 911's daily for that many miles since maybe '94 when I bought a truck. That ended 10+ years of having a 911 as the sole car.

Flash forward to last week when we got my mom in for a hip replacement. Left the car up here at her house, and took her '01 Accord V-6 for the daily grind. Shoot me already...... So I pop in the car tonight, start it to make sure the battery hasn't died, feels like I belong there again. Would have been kinda fun to drive it in the nasty rain yesterday. Soon enough.

As an aside, on the "search for cab", it's funny how all sorts of stuff pops up when you don't have time--holidays, above-mention mom's surgery, picking up a $%&* stomach virus from the hospital or rehab center that's laid me out for 5 days now, the (near) storm for the ages. Fred's car came and went, so did a nice Boxster S for $16K, and what I think is an OK '96 cab for low-20's (but it's silver..).

Just some rambling for a Saturday night........
Old 01-06-2008, 07:55 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right there with you.

I drive mine almost an hour each way to work every day. Every now and then I worry that I made the wrong decision and I'm somehow spoiling the experience by using it as a DD - becoming inured to the feel of driving a 993. Two things always remind me I made the right decision:
1) I drive my wife's minivan, then get back in my car and say, "wow"
2) I'm disappointed when I get home every night and look forward to getting back in my car the next morning for the long haul back to work

Dave
Old 01-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Ken,

Your thoughts are the reason that I recently traded my Cayenne S daily driver for a 964 tip. I need the tip for city driving although I only drive about 200 miles a month.

I am lucky to get to drive a 911 daily. My 993 is much more sporting, mainly due to the 6 speed vs. tip. But I love the old school looks, sounds and smell of the 964. And it is a very solid car.

One thing that is interesting... the 964 gets A LOT more looks than the 993. Could be color, wheels, etc. but I notice that a lot.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing quite like an air cooled 911. I bought my first one at a repo auction in the summer of 1994. I guess I've put 270,000 miles on my 911's since then. Can you see my grin?

Quick Reply: Sure can get used to a car......