Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

964 / 993 Control Arm Bushings

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed with a used pair of Turbo sways. Much smoother ,nice turn in and no more front end shimmy.. I had no trouble removing the old bushings with just a chisel and hammer. I didn,t need to saw a slot.Easily installed with a vice as a press.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
Thanks Roger!

After driving my car quite a bit over the last couple of days I've got to say, this mod is well worth the time and effort. My front end shimmy during light braking is gone. The "hunting" or "tramlining" or whatever it's called when cruising along in a straight line (most noticeable on the highway) is gone. The car all around feels more stable and corners better. Very happy with this. Now it's got me wondering what other rubber bushings or suspension pieces should be replaced. Anyone have any suggestions? Rear bushing? Engine mounts? Transmission mounts?
I replaced my engine mounts with solid ones from Wevo. http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...gineMounts.htm
Would recommend to everybody, who are for spirited driving. Thanks to Your post I'm going now to replace control arm bushings..

Jack
Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's no doubt doing the front is a necessity now for just about any 993 simply due to age. But what's the consensus on replacing the bushings in the rear with poly or sport hardness rubber such as the ones from ERP?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
There's no doubt doing the front is a necessity now for just about any 993 simply due to age. But what's the consensus on replacing the bushings in the rear with poly or sport hardness rubber such as the ones from ERP?
AFAIK the only choices in back are
monoball
sport rubber, ERP
RS, factory w/ new arms & ball joints
soft rubber, ERP
factory soft rubber, w/ new arms & ball joints
Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 PM
alexl911
Pro

Hi Bill,

Actually, my question was more along the lines of: if the front needed to be done does that mean the rear also needs to be done?

I know you went the route of replacing all the arms in the rear with RS bits -is this much better than simply replacing the bushings with ERP sport hardness? I believe there is a big difference in cost.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Bill,

Actually, my question was more along the lines of: if the front needed to be done does that mean the rear also needs to be done?
JMO, yes, if you make changes at the front matching changes should be made in back

I know you went the route of replacing all the arms in the rear with RS bits -is this much better than simply replacing the bushings with ERP sport hardness? I believe there is a big difference in cost.
depends on the ball joints, if you don't want/need new ball joints then the ERP hard rubber is just the ticket, if you need new ball joints the RS arms are the way to go

what ever you do, the front and rear need to match in terms of their handling characteristics. You can certainly increase the stiffness of the rear springs relative to the front to get rid of the factory understeer, but you want the way the pieces react to be as similar as possible.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:09 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What is recommended for the rear if Chris's bushings are used in the front?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:21 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg

3) rubber - this is what the factory used. It functions by deformation not rotation so it doesn't squeek, doesn't require any maintainance and has no friction. The nit to pick is that the factory uses a softer material than many would like except on the RS models where they used a harder or sport rubber compound.

To me the harder RS rubber is the way to go for the except on a pure race car.
I totally agree with Bill, this is the way I will be going.
I have been following this thread for years, yes since it started, and congratulate Chris W for his contribution and great product.

To contribute in this thread,
there has been some bad results with powerflex after 10k kms, here is one RLister example photos here:

http://www.club911.net/viewthread.php?tid=41563&page=1

many others witnessed a lag of one or several millimeters in their P/U setup, Front and Rear movement of the A-arms, noticeable when moving backward and braking, a big hammer like sound is heard. All with brand above.

The alternative I chose is original RS inserts, they exist and cost as much as normal carerra ones, about 200 euros in EU for both A-arms,
I have them since the start of this thread but never mounted them, soon I think
Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM
alps
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread is extremely helpful. The front bushes in my RS need replacement and my motorsport oriented dealer recommended Powerflex PU bushes in exchange arms.

For 70% road 30% track use, am I correct in thinking that OEM RS replacement arms are the consensus choice?

Geolab, you said you sourced actual RS bushes, can you tell me where you got them? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:58 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

http://www.fvd.de/de/fr/Porsche-0/99...iangle%29.html
Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these still available? I sent Chris a PM a while ago but haven't gotten a response. I have a '91 964 Turbo in need of some new control arm bushings (I think - there is a shimmy in the front and it's not brake discs or wheel balance).
Old 09-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alps
This thread is extremely helpful. The front bushes in my RS need replacement and my motorsport oriented dealer recommended Powerflex PU bushes in exchange arms.

For 70% road 30% track use, am I correct in thinking that OEM RS replacement arms are the consensus choice?

Geolab, you said you sourced actual RS bushes, can you tell me where you got them? Thanks.
Geo lab posted the source for actual RS bushes, great find!

just remember that in the front suspension, the RS are stiffer than normal only in the rear A arm bushes, the fronts are just as compliant as the normals, I'd highly recommend changing both to harder rubber bushes as represented by the Elephant Racing Sport hardness versions
Old 09-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcar964
Are these still available? I sent Chris a PM a while ago but haven't gotten a response. I have a '91 964 Turbo in need of some new control arm bushings (I think - there is a shimmy in the front and it's not brake discs or wheel balance).
http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page1694.htm
Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi There

Using my limited experience to answer the question of whether the rears need doing if the fronts do, I found with my 185k mile car was that the rear bushes were fine. Having said that I changed the whole lot (inc the fronts) for the Elephant Racing RS ones. Like Bill says it is all about the ball joints.

If you do change the rear bushes and then want to change the arm later you can just push the old (ERP ones for instance) bushes out and have them fitted to the replacement arms. They press in and out easily (with a press).

There is no eurethane/poly alternative for the rears that I know of. In my opinion there never will be, nor should there be given the design of them.

Berni
Old 09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
How long ago? I got a PM at 11:34am today and will answer it now that I am home from work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 / 993 Control Arm Bushings