Sponsored by:

Fuses and relays

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
sydneymark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fuses and relays

Having had my 96 Cab roof stop on me half way open and through trail and error found it was the No13, 30A fuse failure (thank goodness), I have gone through a search on this site and tried to find out what fuses and or relays I should carry with me (I have a pouch with a spare immobilser battery ...thanks to the advice here).

I have bought some 30, 25, 15 and 7.5 A for $8.00 at a local auto parts store ...although colour coded they are not labelled with ampage as are the others in the fuse box .

Relays ...what would be suggeted ..

Should I get the fuses and relays form the authorised dealer ?

Want to get some summer driving done here ...its in the 90F range so not too hot yet here in Sydney
Old 01-01-2008, 10:05 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Mark,

I have been slowly replacing the various relays in my car as needed. I believe the fuse box cover has a section that describes the purpose of each relay; you can use that as a guide to replace those you feel are a priority.

Also, I would recommend you purchase a copy of Adrian Streather's Porsche 993, The Essential Companion He also hails from Australia and although the book is expensive (check Amazon.com) it is an invaluable resource for all things electrical in our cars, among many other things. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:18 PM
sydneymark
Advanced

Jason ..I bought Streather's book before I managed to find the 993 I wanted ...there is a section on the fuse box and relays but no specific recommendation on change out or recommendation on fuses to carry ......

I just wanted to know what other people carry with them that made sense ...and did they buy the fuses and relays OEM
Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Other sources of cab top trouble include cold solder joints in the cab top control box. I have fixed a few intermittent tops by resoldering various points in this box. It is located under the dash left of the steering column.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Carrying a spare for each of the relays would be expensive. You may want to review the legend inside the panel cover, and decide which relays are most important to you, and carry only those, i.e. DME relay.

IIRC, there are some spare fuses in the panel, and replacement fuses are also readily available at parts stores.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Your colour coded fuses will be fine. Be sure that a mini Phillips screwdriver is tucked in with the immobilizer battery .. .
As far as relays, the DME as mentioned: you can add one of the standard 4 pin relays, but they all interchange. ie., the horn relay will swap with many others - and a toot of the horn makes a good road side tester for a suspect relay.
I carry a 2-way and 3-way wire jumper made up of 6" lengths of wire and crimped male spades: this will plug into any relay slot ( #30 to #87 ... or to 87a & 87b for the DME) - and is a good temporary bridge to get you home.

Quick Reply: Fuses and relays