993 Forum 1995-1998

Exploding Rear Window - another victim

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM
redcarrera
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no expert but I think the speed warning is for the action of opening the sunroof at speeds over 50 mph, not having it open at higher speed. My guess is the preasure created as you crack it open could rip the headliner loose (heck it peels off by itself sometimes!)
Old 12-15-2007, 03:42 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BufordTJ
I've also seen a guy use a sledge hammer on a Camaro back glass and nearly kill himself trying to break it. The hammer just keep bouncing back until he hit it near a corner and it finally exploded. The strength is in the center of the glass. I've also broken one just taping the edge with a small screwdriver. The edge is the weakest point.
So tempered glass is very strong and can be very flexible, but it can also explode unexpectedly due to many different factors.

Just my $0.02.
Funny you mention these experiences as I have some similar stories. As a punk kid (not really), dad and I would walk junkyards almost on a weekly basis looking for restoration parts for several car projects we had going on. We'd split up, the divide and conquer method, to look for parts. Anyhow, I had a habit of tapping on glass with the end of wrenches, just to see how much effort it would take to break it. I was AMAZED at how much effort it would take to break glass hitting it with wrenches on the glass face or surface. After some time, I figured out that the slightest, and I mean the SLIGHTEST, love tap on the edge of a piece of glass (like a door window) would shatter it immediately! So it became a game of how little force it would take to break glass.

So, short story long, my thoughts on the rear window failures in the 993 make me wonder if some of these cars rear window framings, or apertures have either a sharp metal protrusion, sliver or burr that is near the glass edge when installed (under the rubber seal)? The car twists and forces a sharp feature into the edge of the glass? Just a theory. Or, is the sheet metal aperture a little on the small side therefore pinching the window? Dont know really.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:27 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

I agree Chris. A burr on the edge of the pinch weld area and a little flex is all would take.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

what the hell? 62 only with the sunroof open? Thats bloody ridiculous
Old 12-15-2007, 08:59 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

I've read many post on the exploding rear window, and I having some experience in the glass industry, I thought I might be of some help, although my back glass is plastic.

The back glass exploding problem is not just with 993's or Porsche's IMO. I've seen tempered glass (Back glasses, door glasses ect...) break on many different cars for no apparent reason. We sold and replaced many in Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, and just about all the mfgs. I've also seen a guy use a sledge hammer on a Camaro back glass and nearly kill himself trying to break it. The hammer just keep bouncing back until he hit it near a corner and it finally exploded. We replaced more Camaro / Firebird Back Glasses than any (talk about a problem, these cars had a major issue with the glass breaking). The strength is in the center of the glass. I've also broken one just taping the edge with a small screwdriver. I cringe anytime I see someone near the edge of a door glass with a metal object. The edge is the weakest point. I've also seen a guy take a door glass and throw it like a Frisbee across a parking lot and it was only scratched. And I've also taken a back glass from a pickup and set it on a table and nearly bent it over 90deg. and it didn't break. And I've seen a guy walk out of our shop in the winter, going from 70 deg. to say 15 deg. with a new door glass under his arm and it exploded before he could get to his car.

So tempered glass is very strong and can be very flexible, but it can also explode unexpectedly due to many different factors.

Just my $0.02.
Those stories remind me of Auto Shop class near the end of the year. We'd try to beat the crap out of a bunch of cars, railing on this one Ford Taurus's passenger window with a steel trash can. It wouldn't break. We eventually sawed off the exhaust to give it straight pipes, put it up on jackstands, threw a brick on the gas pedal and took bets on how many mile it'd "go" before detonating.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:39 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 342 Posts

I used to hang around a body shop a lot and I've seen the same thing happen...Beat the crap out of one piece of glass trying to get it out and it won't break for anything. Let a hand tool slip and lightly tap a piece you want to stay whole and it crumbles on contact.

I truly believe that there is a Murphy's Law kind of negative correlation between breakage and the need to preserve the glass...The more you need the glass, the less likely it is to resist breakage.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Alright one more glass story.

I started working for a auto glass shop during college in 1989. The big craze back then was the sliding back glass in pickups. We would remove the old rubber set glass, mark make, model, and year, and put them in the corner for later. Some customers would come in with one section of the slider broken and think you could just replace one section, when told they needed a whole new unit ($85 to 90 for a new one) they would want a regular glass reinstalled. We usually gave them a used one and charged $40 to install it. It was first day on the job for me, cocky 19 year old, thought I knew everything and really knew nothing, but eager just to work on cars. My supervisor with the mullet and the dip of Skoal in his mouth in his mid 30's, thought I always needed to pay my dues and learn a lesson (a ton of funny stories with this guy). Yes it's Arkansas so all you thoughts on this guy are correct. Well, maybe not with his sister!
So he ask me to get one of these back glasses out of the corner for a certain model P/U and I start digging through the stack, once, then twice, still can't find it, and on the third time, you guessed it; KKAAAPOWWW I lightly bounced one on the concrete floor and it shattered everywhere. I didn't at this time know these were free and of course Johnny wasn't going to let me know about it either. He had me on egg shells all week long. I thought I was for sure fired. He had the owner come talk to me and it was the biggest joke that week for everyone. I remember I was so worried the boss would never let me touch another one of his classic cars again. See he was a Barrett Jackson kind of collector, and I was his grunt even before I got the job. I cleaned and polished his classics at his home on the weekends and after school. Bob was the man!
I sure do have some funny stories from those years, but learned a lot from those rednecks. From the trucking companies to the body shops to the car lots, I got to see some of the best work to the worst rebuilds ever. You sure can learn a lot from the car business. Once it's in your blood it stays.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:20 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a design issue, either on the car or on the glass, early 911's, up to 93' didn't have this issue, never.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that max speed to 'open' the roof or max speed to drive WITH it open??? Hard to believe that the sunroof is only viable at commuting speeds.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marlon-the manual says not to "operate" the sunroof mechanism at speeds above 62 MPH. What that really means is probably open to conjecture.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel economy starts to suffer at about 62+ with open windows / sunroof.

If this makes any difference?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:31 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Speaking of windows that are hard to break, thought you guys would enjoy a demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuySmopuwL4

Looks like Chris could have given them some lessons!!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:37 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

wow.. I'm glad I never use my sunroof now.. I don't want to loose a rear window
Old 12-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't suppose Porsche ever issued a recall on this, did they?
Old 09-19-2023, 08:55 AM
Brooney
5th Gear

Question Exploding rear window repair

Many users have described the exploding rear window phenomenon in their 993’s. It happened to me the other day for no apparent reason. Now the problem is getting it replaced. I’ve called every window glass shop with in a 50 mile radius. They all refuse to do the job. I live in northeast New York State. Does any one know who will do this job? The local Porsche dealer can get the glass and gave me the number of the shop they use. They refused the job too

Quick Reply: Exploding Rear Window - another victim