Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperately Seeking Atlanta Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007 | 04:10 AM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Default Desperately Seeking Atlanta Detailer

Now that we're down to ~100 days of water in Atlanta, they've banned outdoor watering (including washing one's own car). So, even if I wanted to detail my Guards Red 97, I couldn't. I do think they still allow professional detailers to use water outside.

I've made this post before to no avail, but thought I'd try again a few more months into our drought - any recommendations for a top, top quality detailer in Atlanta?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:26 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

If you go to the Concours tab under Perf & Comp in the forum, you can ask them who they suggest.
Did you ask also the local P car dealers/Indy guys? They may have some suggestions as well.
Good luck.
Ron
Old 12-08-2007 | 11:40 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Car washes are still operating, right? Enough to knock off the dust, anyway.

I've resorted to using detailing spray in copious quantities, but some here consider it a dubious practice, as it introduces scratching if you're not careful.

The only casualty on my car has been the inside of the wheels. There'll be some serious restoration cleaning there at some point.
Old 12-08-2007 | 12:03 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Hound,

I feel your pain...I'm north of Atlanta and am on a private well...Talk about uncertainty! We'll know when we run out of water when the water won't come out of the tap! Until then it's a crap shoot.

But to your question...Have you thought about going to a car wash and getting a hand wash, then crusining home to detail it yourself? Most of the larger car wases will hand wash for an extra charge.

Some folks recommend against what Ed suggested but I've done that as well. My paint is original except for a front bumper respray, but at 10 years of age, it has enough wear 'n tear on it to allow a spray-off at the car wash once every month or so wothout guilt on my part.

Oh yeah...What the hell are you doing up at 3:00 AM? Just coming in from the bars?

Good luck.
TMc
Old 12-08-2007 | 01:11 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Thanks for the thoughts. I've considered them all and will probably just get a griots rotary and a kit and practice on my other cars before I do my pcar, but that's what it looks like it will be (handwash somewhere, drive straight home and do it myself). I still need a detailer though, as I'd rather not do it myself long run. I used to use a guy on 14th that did a lot of the rap stars, but he closed.

Thanks again. Yes, I couldn't sleep last night (not coming in from the bars), so I chose to read rennlist!

Hound Dog.
Old 12-08-2007 | 07:50 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

You know, Terry, our place in Blue Ridge has well water, but there's too much fine grit in the water for me to dare wash the car up there. Do you filter your water?

Aside from the fact it would get dirty again driving back down to Marietta.
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:19 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

I have a place near Highlands with a well and thought about washing/detailing up there, but had never considered "grit" from the well. It tastes great and doesn't have high iron content like some of the other folks in the area. The water is clear as a bell in a glass. Is there some other way to tell if there's "grit" in it that would make it unsuitable for a car wash?
Old 12-08-2007 | 10:21 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Ed,

I've been up here for 32 years and have always used spring water or well water for everything, including washing cars...There's no other option...If you have a deep well, you're going to get some grit....I do have an inline filter on my system that screens out 95-98% of the particulate.

My 993 is my daily driver and I suspect it gets hit by more grit off the road in a week's driving than it would ever see during a car wash. Besides, I keep a good coat of wax on it and use lots of suds when I wash it....I've never had a problem with well water.

In case you're wondering, deep well water is more reliable, but spring water is sweeter and makes much better moonshine
Old 12-08-2007 | 11:09 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Hah! There were remnants of a still on the place when I got it.

We went down 285 feet to get a reliable flow, as I recall. Right at the confluence of two dry creeks, too - at the time, I was taking bets we'd get 10 gal/min before 100 feet.

To answer your question, Hound Dog, the grit in my water is fairly obvious - clogs up the screen at the clothes washer inlet, leaves some residue in the sinks, etc. Sometimes the water tastes great, other times not. I suspect if yours tastes great and looks clear, you're OK. If in doubt, pass some water through cheese cloth (several layers of the stuff), and see what, if anything, you collect.
Old 12-08-2007 | 11:25 PM
scat
Racer

My advice is just park the car and just ride the camel instead.Are you guys serious about this water problem in Georgia?I never knew such problem exists in US of A.Good luck!
Old 12-09-2007 | 07:28 AM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Thanks for the info. on the wells. Just bought the place (hopefully taking advantage of the dip in the market), but the water seems to be quite clear and fine (knock on wood).

Yes - we're serious about this water problem in Georgia. Wells are drying up, Atlanta has about 100 days of water left (depending on how one counts), the primary reservoir for Atlanta looks like a moonscape the water level is so far down, most lakes are at record lows, etc., etc. Now, we have something besides traffic to worry about as a long term limitation on growth.
Old 12-09-2007 | 12:00 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Scat,

What Hound Dog said...Lake Lanier, Atlanta's primary water supply is at it's lowest point since it was filled in 1954. Submerged highways, house foundations and even an old ovsl dirt track concrete stadium have become visible. Stream flow rates are 150% below normal...It's really bad.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfmhPKjeRWI

Last edited by TMc993; 12-09-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2007 | 08:02 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Scott Dargis Detailing in Roswell. He did the color sand on my car. He is still in business. I'll dig his number up.
I installed a 150 gallon tank under my deck. It's hooked up to a downspout at the back corner of my house. I am using a 1 HP submersible pump. Last rain we had filled it up to overflowing! It takes about 7 gallons to wash the 993.
Old 12-18-2007 | 10:36 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Mike at California Auto Buff in Highlands and Buckhead does a good job FWIW
Old 12-19-2007 | 10:14 AM
mikestash
Racer

My neighbor uses a guy named justin, who is mobile. His cars look great (land rover, merc), etc.

Justin at Neuspeed 404-456-1742

Also, I find that mcguires quick detailing spray is a good alternative to water.

Quick Reply: Desperately Seeking Atlanta Detailer