GM EOS Assembly Lube

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GM EOS Assembly Lube

Hello,

Today at the Tech Session in "brisk" So Cal, Tony Callas mentioned this product as a way to replace Zinc and Phosporous we have lost in the latest generation of oils. Apparently, GM discontinued P/N 1052367, but it's available a few places:

http://www.atlantaimported.com/prodd...p?prod=1052367

BUT, they're bringing back P/N 88862586, which should be available at your GM dealer "soon," but I don't know when...

Last edited by dcdude; 12-03-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I was gonna post that info too, but you beat me to it. It was fun today, and it was nice meeting you. Philip (black backwards baseball cap and sweats from today).
Old 12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
BUT, they're bringing back P/N 88862586, which should be available at your GM dealer "soon," but I don't know when...
What is P/N 88862586? I've got a few bottles of EOS left, but would like to find a substitute to stock up on...
Old 12-02-2007, 02:37 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer my own question (Google is your friend!), GM says it is re-releasing EOS with a new part number:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?vc=1&wtype=v4

Does anyone know whether the new EOS will have the same formulation as the old EOS?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:30 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are oils available in the marketplace that have what our engines need.

I believe the link was on Rennlist a month or so ago. One was "Brad Penn". The link included scientific
work by an engineer who works in the oil industry.

I wish I could be more helpful here......
Old 12-02-2007, 05:59 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Yes, Phillip. Great meeting you as well as John V. in the flesh!

Another reference on this topic provided in the syllabus by Herr Professor:

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

I don't want to start another "oil war," but wow, Swepco and Brad Penn dino oils? Even though I don't really care about the long intervals provided by synthetics, there's still plenty to think about before my next oil change. Does anybody make a synthetic with all of the additives we need? Royal Purple? Motul? god forbid Amsoil?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
I don't want to start another "oil war," but wow, Swepco and Brad Penn dino oils? Even though I don't really care about the long intervals provided by synthetics, there's still plenty to think about before my next oil change. Does anybody make a synthetic with all of the additives we need? Royal Purple? Motul? god forbid Amsoil?
Chuck:

If you don't mind my saying so, I would not be hasty in "dissing" a real high quality dino oil such as those two products.

They are in fact, a LOT better for your engine than many so-called "synthetics" that lack some critical anti-wear components.

There are some excellent synthetic lubricants but if one changes the oil at the proper intervals, the differences are VERY small.

FWIW, we switched from some well known synthetics to both Swepco 306 and Brad-Penn oils.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dcd: Thanks for finding the facts... I just did an oil change and installed the Brad Penn oil. I don't drive enough on an annual basis to warrant using the synthetics....
and if Steve Weiner is doing it, then.......
ps: Steve, my mechanic Tim Pott says hello!!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:54 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Chuck:

If you don't mind my saying so, I would not be hasty in "dissing" a real high quality dino oil such as those two products.
Thanks for weighing in, Steve. The only dissing is "disbelief," the first step in the continuous learning process, with which you always help tremendously!

OK, I've dug into some older threads, and it looks like you recommend Swepco 306 in 15W40 or Brad Penn in 15W50. Tony also mentioned a "Harley oil," which I believe is Mobil V-Twin, which supposedly has the highest-available ZDDP levels available ($100 per 12):

http://store.avlube.com/mob1vtwinair1.html

It sounds like the GM's EOS or Cam & Lifter Prelube are only neccessary with the newer non V-Twin Mobil 1 (SM?). So if I'm starting my shopping list, which way to go? The anti-big business corporate conspiracy theorist in me is always in favor of supporting the "little" guy and not buying Mobil products, especially if they need to be "fixed" before they work properly in my car, so I'm leaning toward Swepco, which Wayne (who brought his 959 on Sat.) has for $78.60:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...swepco_pg7.htm

...or Brad Penn for $54 per case:

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...products_id=28
Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Chuck:

Indeed, the Brad-Penn, Swepco, and V-Twin oils are all very good choices and in fact, FAR preferable to doctoring up one of the current SM-rated oils.

FWIW,.. I do have the Brad-Penn 20w-50 for $60/case, if that helps.

Steve: Please give my best regards to Tim for me,..

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 12-03-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
dcdude
Drifting

I just found STP "4 cylinder" (red bottle) for $2.99 at my local Kragen. Your local "Kragen" may be called Checker, Schuck's, or partsamerica.com.

This stuff is supposed to have lots of ZDDP. I've only got less than 1K miles on my current Mobil 1. Never thought I'd pour STP into my Porsche, but I'm considering putting in maybe 1/3 of this 15 oz. bottle. My local chebby dealer has no news on a replacement for the GM product. I think my next oil will be Brad Penn Racing 20W50 anyway, though.

Quick Reply: GM EOS Assembly Lube