Sponsored by:

Spark plug blown out of the head

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,079 Posts
Default Blown out plug, what do you need to do to fix it?

Seems to me the present issue is what do you need to do to fix it?
Is it reasonable to install a sparkplug threaded insert without disassembly of the engine? An old school solution that worked great!
Andy

http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html
Old 06-30-2013, 04:13 AM
Barry_B
Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad

Originally Posted by TMc993
And once again, it's the parent's fault when the know-it-all kid ****s up...Are you kin to Jeff Redfern?
It always a pleasure to receive helpful, informative p-car content here.

I've tried Jaxx beer a few times myself.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Seems to me the present issue is what do you need to do to fix it?
Is it reasonable to install a sparkplug threaded insert without disassembly of the engine? An old school solution that worked great!
Andy

http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html
Andy, thank you, but my first post (#15 above, Sat 29 Jun2013) post mentions that the car is already in shop for in-car Time-Sert installation.

I apologize for giving the impression I was against that - or (edit on Sunday 30 Jun 2013) perhaps you were responding to the OP from 2007...

Last edited by Barry_B; 06-30-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: To clarify that OP and new posts 6 years apart
Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess is that if it took the threads, it was cross threaded at one time. Easy to do in aluminum.

That's what inserts are for!

oops, just saw how old thread was.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Barry_B
Addict

Originally Posted by vincer77
My guess is that if it took the threads, it was cross threaded at one time. Easy to do in aluminum.

That's what inserts are for!

oops, just saw how old thread was.
Vince, with Post #15 above, I foolishly revived it Saturday 29 Jun 2013 with my plug ejection experience from late pm Fri 28 Jun 2013.

Had hoped to find the plug yesterday (but did not) so I could maybe see the "evidence" to confirm what you suggest, as my wrench won't be able to get to it until Tue, when he'll investigate condition of bore before he does the Time-Sert install. Possibility exists the plug was merely loose and worked its way out with minimal thread damage but the somewhat explosive way it let go suggests at least some of the threads departed with the plug...

I posted partly to share ditto experience, but also my wrench's opinion about WHY such may be more likely to occur with a 993 (or 964) engine, on that particular cylinder - #6, i.e:

"...in a 993 #6 top plug access is obstructed in the engine compartment, partly by power steering pump, so some (folks trying to save time or $) attempt to reinstall that plug using angle or flexible drives on the socket, etc., so x-threading is often the result..."

- "Easy to do in aluminum" as you said -

"So for 993/964, the #6 upper plug may be the most likely candidate for blowing out, and the only way to properly get to it is to remove the right engine tin and go in from the bottom - which (he said) is also true for my 3.6 conversion, even though steering pump is removed."

After my original 3.2 engine got over 1/3 million miles without any repairs or failures (externally fixed oil leaks excepted!) this reassured me somewhat about it happening again, and maybe will help someone else preempt this particular occurrence.

Cheers
Barry

Last edited by Barry_B; 06-30-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:10 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry_B
...the only way to properly get to it is to remove the right engine tin and go in from the bottom - which he said is also true for my 3.6 conversion, even though steering pump is gone.
That doesn't make sense -- if the PS pump is removed, there's plenty of room to access the plug. I have an RSR electro-hydraulic PS pump in my 993, stock pump removed. Piece of cake getting at the top #6 plug.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Barry_B
Addict

Originally Posted by NP993
That doesn't make sense -- if the PS pump is removed, there's plenty of room to access the plug. I have an RSR electro-hydraulic PS pump in my 993, stock pump removed. Piece of cake getting at the top #6 plug.
Yes, thank you, it doesn't make sense - probably my memory of conversation when I dropped car off rather than my wrench saying anything squirly - maybe he was referring to the Time-Sert installation and not plug reinstall, or I simply confused the 993 PS scenario with mine, no doubt all will be revealed next week... I admit to being momentarily dizzy with the news that that repair could be done with engine in car...

Quick Reply: Spark plug blown out of the head