Looking for a 95 993 with lsd

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris walrod
Just going by what GT told me a month ago.
As I said best to contact Paul directly

Originally Posted by Chris walrod
Two clutch plates is a four friction surface config. From many years of working on Hewland diffs, most recent being their Powerflow, I had a habit of calling Porsche ramps by angles where as Porsche uses a % lock. Percentage lock is a function of torque applied, cF, lubricant etc. Which is why I never understood using a percentage figure vs. ramp accel and decel angles to label a ramp or side rings as Hewland likes to call them.
Not always. Again if you look at the pic I posted , the same sort of thing is done w/ the ZF and GKN LSD used in our cars. When the outer or friction disks are alternated w/ the plain or inner disks the # of friction surfaces is maximised. Porsche used the % nomenclature though it has only peripheral bearing on the breakaway torque(actual effectiveness) of the diff.

on a 40% or 50% ZF the actual breakaway torque spec is between 30 and 57 lb-ft, On a 75% or 80% the actual breakaway torque spec is between 43 and 85 lb-ft. Other than the stacking sequence breakaway torque is adjusted by using different thickness plates to adjust the static preload.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 95 993 with lsd