Sponsored by: DashLynx

quick suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:21 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick suspension question

I have read quite a few posts on this topic and have gathered quite a bit of usefull info. Looks like I'm goinf Bilstein HD and ROW M030....

my question and a little hard to explain is as follows:

when going around a turn like an off or on ramp with bumps or groves every few feet..I usually start at the inside of the turn bhowever every time I hit a bump, I feel that my car bounces outwards a few cm's, and my passenger gets the same feeling.

This is the main reason ( and lowering it) that I am upgrading the suspension. Will my problem be solved with the new set up?

TIA.
sam
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car did this when I first bought it. Original shocks were shot.
All fixed now! Good luck. MO30 and bilstein HD's-I'm sure you will see quite a difference.
chuck
Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 AM
quasr
Racer

Default Suspension

+1

I put the same suspension set up you mentioned and am quite pleased. Very tight handling.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:20 AM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the feedback guys....so I guess that weird skippy feeling is normal with shot shocks!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
The rear 'getting jiggy' after only going over a little bumperoonie -- is, my friend, THE sign that the shocks are toast.
Do the Bilstein/HD/beefier sway-bar fandango -- as many of us have done -- courtesy of ViperBob -- and you will NOT regret the $$$ spent. As you've searched and have read -- it literally transforms the car.
My word for how my car drives/behaves now is: PLANTED.

Latah,
G.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:40 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
+1
The rear 'getting jiggy' after only going over a little bumperoonie -- is, my friend, THE sign that the shocks are toast.
Do the Bilstein/HD/beefier sway-bar fandango -- as many of us have done -- courtesy of ViperBob -- and you will NOT regret the $$$ spent. As you've searched and have read -- it literally transforms the car.
My word for how my car drives/behaves now is: PLANTED.

Latah,
G.
I'm thinking of the same upgrade....
Approximate $?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:02 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For those of you 993 owners on stock US suspension set up's, DO THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

It will transform your car into the cornering beast it was meant to be! Money well worth spending!

ZP44

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 11-27-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:34 PM
kuhl 993
Advanced

Or go with the RoW M033 which lowers the car perfectly without the harshness of M030. This is my opinion only after having both and driving only on the street.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:51 PM
24FPS
Drifting

fwiw: you may experience bump-steer @ lower adj... but that's actually a diff. feeling altogether & is usually when you're pushing... don't let it scare you. our 993's are raw like dat.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hi,
I replaced everything that was offered in that 'group buy' - i.e. new springs, new Bilstein shocks (with extra threads), beefier front and rear sways, etc. etc.
Approx. cost for the 'parts' was around 2 grand, n' change, (if memory serves me). I had never dealt with ViperBob before - but I was *very* pleased with the level of service and deliveries. One of my boxes went missing (thanx a lot UPS!) and VB just sent another one without question.
My installation was done by a local wrench who also races and builds Porsches. He knows his stuff.
He was able to bring the car down to ROW ...which rhymes with LOW ...and boy was it LOW when I saw it after the transformation. I now cringe when I think of the SUV look. GAWD!
The car rides (IMHO) **planted** and there is absolutely no jigginess when you go over a bump. Even my wife commented that it just 'rides over them ...unlike before." The ride, itself, is NOT hard or harsh -- just 'confident'. The *confidence* that you feel when swinging her around exit ramps or switching lanes - is awe-inspiring. It's one of those 'improvements' that you say to yourself -- "****! ...those *other* guys were right - they weren't telling fibs! ...and why the heck didn't I do this sooner!"
I ***would*** recommend that you get your wrench to install a SECOND set of locking collars on the rear shocks. The rear drop-links (from Bilstein) are reasonably adequate but are prone to coming away from their connections - if movement is 'excessive' or if the accuracy of the installation has been less than stellar. Trust me -- two additional locking collars is 70 bucks well spent. (Ask me how I know).
The ALIGNMENT of all of this hardware is VERY, VERY important. The *HUNTER* alignment machine is the preferred device for this. A good alignment / corner balance can take around 3 hours, plus or minus.
Removal of the old, spent, Monroe-based suspension system, installation of the 'new' + alignment (for me) was a grand n change.
On my way - driving her back home -- I *KNEW* immediately that it had all been time and money well spent.

Gerry

P.S. No bump steer to report.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:42 PM
User 121721
Racer

I am about to have this suspension put on my C4 and per both ViperBob and the installer, additional rear locking collars are not needed if the suspension is properly installed.

There was a long thread on this issue and I believe the consensus was that suspension pieces getting loose was the result of a hosed up installation.

Mark
Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by g_murray
Hi,
..He was able to bring the car down to ROW ...which rhymes with LOW ...and boy was it LOW when I saw it after the transformation. I now cringe when I think of the SUV look. GAWD!
The car rides (IMHO) **planted** and there is absolutely no jigginess when you go over a bump.
planted is the best word for it !!!

i sooo remember feeling & seeing LOW when i picked my 993 up from the shop & took it for a drive /w the suspension guru. took a few weeks for me to get used to my feet being so close to the ground when i stepped out, etc... heheh hee - no mas suv.

fwiw: i'm pretty close to 'rs' height so i do get more feedback than 'row' but i likey. note also: you will totally lose that floaty feeling of the stock suspension when @ top speeds, which is comforting to say the least.

bol soon to be pleased sam

Quick Reply: quick suspension question