Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero / RS Splitter- Spoiler - Show or Go ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:15 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Aero / RS Splitter- Spoiler - Show or Go ?

Does the RS or Aero splitter and spoiler reduce lift or add downforce to any greater degree than the motorized spoiler and no splitter - or are they simply for looks??

Jeff
Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Reduces lift on both ends. Can't remember the numbers (? search), but I recall reading them at some point in time and it was certainly different than stock configuration.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

If you never track your car, they're just for looks and won't matter one bit on the street. However, if you really push your car to the limit at the track, those aero aids, to name but a few, do actually help in adding downforce or reducing lift.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:13 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Willow Springs Turn 8 & 9 should jar a few cobwebs loose. But as Mark says, on the street they're just for show.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Finally, a question I can answer before Chris Walrod...

jumps in. The RS front splitter, the RS side skirts as well as the RS tail reduce lift to approximately 35 Lbs in the front, and 0 Lbs in the rear at 170 mph. I pulled this data out of a Porsche Technical Bulletin on the 993 RS.

With the 993 RS Club Sport tail, and the 993 RS CS front splitter, same side skirts, front is about the same. The rear gets 160 Lbs of down force with 9 degrees of down angle on the adjustable wing.The reason for no major improvement on the front....that 160 Lbs is pushing the back of the car down, the front goes up a bit negating the possible downforce that could develop as a result of the 993 RS CS spoiler.

I have been told that the stock 993 tail reduces lift on the rear from approximately 400 Lbs, to 200 Lbs, about the same as the old Duck Tail. So as you can see putting a duck tail on a 993 is purely cosmetic.

On the track at speeds of over 100 mph, the 993RS package works great. I have recently installed a 993 Aero Kit 1 tail and will check it out on the track next weekend. Theoretically, based on a larger surface area with the dual planes it should be a wee bit better. The 993RS tail is not that big, compared to such tails as the old 911 RSR tail. But having driven many a high speed track with the 993 RS set up, I can tell you that in my experience it works, another kudo to the the engineers at Porsche.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

FYI, I have driven cars with and without aero aids and, quite frankly, can't tell much of a difference. If you're at the lmit, the car is going to feel squirrelly and loose no matter how much downforce you can put on the 993. However, for the track, that extra downforce can translate into better lap times due to the ability to brake into the corner deeper or, get on the gas sooner or stay on the gas later.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool It depends on the track, I submit...

California Speedway in Fontana, CA, you'll hit 135 to 140...the aero aids are comforting...Willow Springs International Raceway in the High Desert of Cali outside of Lancaster, CA has a high speed sweeper...125 ish...it feels better to have an aero aid on the car...it also has cross winds. Aero aids help in cross winds.

In Frere's The 911 Story, he shows that the spoilers on a 911 can eliminate 400 Lbs of lift...compared to non-spoiler equipped cars. The data was collected back in the mid-70's...when the 911 Turbo was coming out. He illustrates the benefits of the duck tail...and then shows that the so called 930 Turbo tail was a great improvement.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:06 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Thanks Guys, Martin that was exactly what I was looking for
...I should have mentioned the car is a '95 993 thats track only at this point. I would like to club race in the 2010 season ( that would be after a full 2 DE seasons, 6-7 events each, in the white group or above) and I want to be careful not to modify the car beyond the stock class. Anymore than it already is with the chip and big reds. That would mean spoilers and not a wing.

So if I stick with the RS or Aero spoilers with matching splitter is it worth the money??? in your opinion. I know several on this thread have done it and are heavy track users.

My car lowered / cornerbalanced, Bilstein HD with H&R springs, RS sways etc.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slvr993
Thanks Guys, Martin that was exactly what I was looking for
...I should have mentioned the car is a '95 993 thats track only at this point. I would like to club race in the 2010 season ( that would be after a full 2 DE seasons, 6-7 events each, in the white group or above) and I want to be careful not to modify the car beyond the stock class. Anymore than it already is with the chip and big reds. That would mean spoilers and not a wing.

So if I stick with the RS or Aero spoilers with matching splitter is it worth the money??? in your opinion. I know several on this thread have done it and are heavy track users.

My car lowered / cornerbalanced, Bilstein HD with H&R springs, RS sways etc.
Club racing in 2010?? Wow, you have more patience than I do.

Assuming you're talking about PCA racing, if you have a chip (easily removable) and Big Reds (not a huge deal to remove), you'll be running in H class, not G class, as a prepared car. If you choose to run the chip and Big Reds, you can also use a real wing and not just spoiler since you're in a prepared class (H class). Read the rules carefully and talk to more experienced racers in your area such as Larry Herman. Oh, BTW, you can also add a shorter R&P to the car.

If you're currently in the green group and are a phenomenal driver, you can be club racing in less than a year. If you're an above average driver, it might take you a year and a half, all dependent on how many track events you do within your region and how proficient you are.

Good luck! It's sick fun.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

The chip and brakes were done by the PO. I swap those back to stock pretty easily. In the new classification in PCA the 993 looks like it would be pretty competetive in the stock class. My thinking at the moment is stick with spoilers / splitter and stay in stock rather than prepared. Also if a wing gives real downforce I would hate to practice with that and then remove it to race, changing the feel of the car. So I guess then the question is - If it's simply reducing or eliminating lift is it worth the $1500 - $2000.

Not much else left to do. Suspension is fine, Evo seats and 6 points are in. Camber plates etc. New rules call for a cage. Thats a next winter project.

I am currently a blue student getting ready to move to white. I want at least one season in white before I shoot for a license. So I could be out there as early as 2009 season. We'll see.

Thanks
Jeff

Quick Reply: Aero / RS Splitter- Spoiler - Show or Go ?