Sponsored by:

993 Pre Purchase in LA

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Rob Gill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Pre Purchase in LA

I am new to Rennlist, and looking at buying a 1996 993 C2.

Where is the best place to take it for a PPI in the Los Angeles area?. I would rather go to the best place in town, and have a real thorough compression leak-down test done.

How much should this cost?

The car I am looking at has 57,000 miles, on the original clutch. How long do clutches typically last, and how much does it cost to replace? (I believe the car has done mostly city driving.)

If I have a real thorough PPI done, how confidant should I be that the car won't have any valve guide, or other expensive problems etc? The little bills don't worry me... It's the biggies that scare me.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Rob Gill
Old 11-22-2007, 03:07 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Los Angeles may be the largest city, square mile wise, in the world. What part of Los Angeles are you talking about exactly?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:15 PM
aperalta
Instructor

Tony Callas in Torrance is THE man in that area. Do a search--you should find lots of info. on him and his shop.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Callas Rennsport in Torrance is highly regarded as the best. You are just in time to attend the 993 Tech session at Callas scheduled for next Saturday as well, so you can meet Tony, and a ton of Rennlist 993 owners.
It is tough to say how long a clutch will last as the mileage will depend, was the car mostly driven in stop and go traffic, or highway mileage?
You need to get a feel for oil consumption as that is one of the better indicators of valve guide health.
I don't know what Tony charges for a PPI, but rest assured, it will be worth it. I would guess a few hundred dollars, cheap insurance though vs dropping $35K or more on a car that needs a top end rebuild.

My car has 73K miles and on the original clutch, although I am sure there are examples with fewer miles that have needed clutches. Some with less than 50K have even undergone top ends, while others have 100K+ with no problems. It comes down to how the car was cared for and driven. I also beleive the type of gas used has an effect. I use Techron, Lucas oil and Slick 50 fuel additives now and then to counter poor gas, even though I only run mobil or chevron supreme gasoline.

There is a wealth of information here and great people. Highly recommend getting a membership, you will get MUCH more in return.

Aloha
Old 11-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Rob Gill
Intermediate

Default 993 Pre Purchase in LA

I am not sure what area is is in...The area code is 818. Is that San Fernando Valley?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, I think 818 is the Valley. about an hour North of where Tony is, depending on traffic.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Rob Gill
Intermediate

Default This site rules.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

There is tons of info here.

I would love the attend next weekend, but I am out of town.

Thanks again.

Rob.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:07 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As others have said, Callas Rennsport off Hawthorne. Call Tony, and make sure he will be the one doing the PPI. He is incredible and will nail everything. Take the time to get it done right. Have fun in the search and good luck!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:32 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

He'll also test drive it, and despite an urban area, give it quite a whirl. Safely of course!

Quick Reply: 993 Pre Purchase in LA