993 Forum 1995-1998

Follow-up question to removal of "Fix-A-Flat"

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:58 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Follow-up question to removal of "Fix-A-Flat"

I unsuccessfully tried to fix a puncture 1 day ago with "Fix-A-Flat" without knowing how nasty that stuff is. I could have used the spare tire instead. (how lucky we are that the 993 has still one).

I took the wheel off today to get it to a shop asap for removal but this is was in impossible task on Thanksgiving. I hope that I can take car of this tomorrow. It appears that at least some of the stuff is still in liquid phase because it dripped through the puncture. The Fix-A-Flat website says that cleaning of the liquid is kind of easy. I was thinking about cutting a window in the tire to get this stuff out asap and flush out as much as possible through that window.

Do you think this is a good idea or should I wait one extra day to do it at the shop.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving
Erik
Old 11-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote for letting the shop do it. They should be able to clean it off. Happy thanksgiving!

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I unsuccessfully tried to fix a puncture 1 day ago with "Fix-A-Flat" without knowing how nasty that stuff is. I could have used the spare tire instead. (how lucky we are that the 993 has still one).

I took the wheel off today to get it to a shop asap for removal but this is was in impossible task on Thanksgiving. I hope that I can take car of this tomorrow. It appears that at least some of the stuff is still in liquid phase because it dripped through the puncture. The Fix-A-Flat website says that cleaning of the liquid is kind of easy. I was thinking about cutting a window in the tire to get this stuff out asap and flush out as much as possible through that window.

Do you think this is a good idea or should I wait one extra day to do it at the shop.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving
Erik
Old 11-22-2007, 04:25 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1, I would leave the tire standing vertical, so hopefully all the liquid pools in the tire and not on the wheel.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:05 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Thank for the advice. The tire is standing in the garage. I will let you know how it all worked out.

Enjoy your Turkey,
Erik
Old 11-23-2007, 08:43 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Just went to our new P-car dealer in North Houston. The tire is off and the fix-a-flat messed up the machine a little bit. However, it was all still liquid and cleaning of th rim was very easy. Rim looks very good.

David at the dealership was very friendly and helpful. Let's see how they do the new tires and balancing.

Erik

Quick Reply: Follow-up question to removal of "Fix-A-Flat"