Sponsored by:

Valentine One ka band signal from rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valentine One ka band signal from rear of car

I know there are probably quite a few of you that own the Valentine One. I pulled my detector out of the Boxster the other day to put in the 993 and noticed I was picking up a constant Ka band signal with the arrow pointing to the rear of the car. I've been meaning to look in to it a little more and I'm wide awake tonight so I just went down to the garage and here's the deal. With the detector mounted just below the rear view mirror I get a signal strength of 4 to 5 dots on the signal strength bar, car running or not, spoiler up or not. I took the detector off the window mount, and looking at the reflection in the rear view mirror I could see that as I rotated the detector the signal source was coming from the drivers side rear somewhere. The signal is only present when the key is in the ignition and at a minimum the accys are powered. If I turn the ignition off (nothing powered except the cigarette lighter socket), the Ka signal source sticks around for 4-6 seconds then abruptly dissapears. WTF? Anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 11-22-2007, 02:07 AM
danpugh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lojack?
Old 11-22-2007, 02:10 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you see this guy behind your car?
Name:  alien-mannequin-exhibit.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  104.3 KB
Old 11-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danpugh
Lojack?
I've had people tell me I got a great deal on this car but I hope it's not stolen!

Actually, I thought of Lojack but they have a nationwide frequency of 173.075. That's way out of the Ka band range...
Old 11-22-2007, 02:17 AM
danpugh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it was just the first thought that popped into my head. I was not sure what frequency they use. Also, I believed that the unit does not transmit unless/until triggered - though my theory was that some kind of bad wiring might have come into play.

I also assume this isn't just happening in your garage, but also when you are out driving? Because if it's just in one location I'd be guessing some kind of security system (though I know they usually trigger in the X band)...

That's about it for vague hypotheses on my part... Good luck!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:10 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Motion detector in aftermarket alarm? It's got to be some sort of aftermarket thing in your car..

What aftermarket things are you running..?

C/
Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If your Boxster also has a K40 detector installed, it will cause the V1 to false on Ka band.

In fact, if you are driving on the highway and get those constant low-level Ka warnings for miles and miles, chances are it's someone near you with a K40. I discovered this when I bought a 97 C2 that had a K40 installed; I was comparing the K40 to my V1 and when I pulled up in front of my garage door, the V1 was detecting the leakage from the K40 as it was reflecting off the garage. What a piece of crap that thing was. I ripped it out by the roots.

A previous owner may have had it installed, even if the control panel is missing if the rest of it is still in the car it probably has hardwired power ... some had antennas front and rear.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 593 Posts

Maybe it's like my passport 8500 - when I honk the horn, laser goes off. I wish it shot lasers!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I find that my v1 signals a laser warning every time an Infinity fx35 drives buy...

Quick Reply: Valentine One ka band signal from rear of car