Sponsored by:

RS Flywheel rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:12 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RS Flywheel rough idle

I was looking get one installed in the car and was told by my Porsche dealer here in San Anotnio that it could cause a rough idle. True?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Mel:

I don't think the idle is any rougher (unless there are pre-existing issues) but you'll hear some transmission noise (rattle) at idle and up to 1500 RPM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Mel:

I don't think the idle is any rougher (unless there are pre-existing issues) but you'll hear some transmission noise (rattle) at idle and up to 1500 RPM.
+1

Shocker, the dealer doesn't have a clue.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+1

Shocker, the dealer doesn't have a clue.
What about the stalling Mark?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
What about the stalling Mark?
Ryan,

Stalling is not the same thing as a rough idle, at least by my definition. When my car is at a standstill, the idle is fine. Since the OP asked about rough idling, that's what I addressed. My occasional stalling issues occur when the car is moving and I push the clutch in. I think a cleaning of the ISV valve will take care of it since I had not experienced the stalling before.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

have a look at this
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=24221
Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Ryan,

Stalling is not the same thing as a rough idle, at least by my definition. When my car is at a standstill, the idle is fine. Since the OP asked about rough idling, that's what I addressed. My occasional stalling issues occur when the car is moving and I push the clutch in. I think a cleaning of the ISV valve will take care of it since I had not experienced the stalling before.
Didn't mean to hijack but I have been studying this topic for a while so I have knowledge if my clutch goes. Hopefully not for a long time though!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the LWF and have known about the rattle forever, but I've never seen a post that discussed why the rattle.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:14 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Slider. Is it worth the rattle? The dealer told me they could install it for me but that since the the flywheel is not made for the car it has caused problems for customers they have installed them for.

Mark. Will getting it installed by someone who knows what they are doing get rid of the stalling and noise? Want the performance improvement but don't want the car sounding or acting like something is wrong with it.

Steve?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by melman911
Mark. Will getting it installed by someone who knows what they are doing get rid of the stalling and noise? Want the performance improvement but don't want the car sounding or acting like something is wrong with it.
The noise and stalling are independent of the installation, assuming that all you have the shop do is to install the components. You might even be one of the unlucky few who have problems despite all of the known LWF stalling remedies, but I doubt it.

As far as the noise is concerned, I think it sounds great. It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the LWF, but, rather, emphasizes all of the whirring noises that I associate with a cool piece of machinery that I am not requiring to be whisper quiet.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

The noise and stalling are independent of the installation, assuming that all you have the shop do is to install the components. You might even be one of the unlucky few who have problems despite all of the known LWF stalling remedies, but I doubt it.
What are the stalling remedies? I was thinking of putting a GIAC chip. Will it help?

As far as the noise is concerned, I think it sounds great. It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the LWF, but, rather, emphasizes all of the whirring noises that I associate with a cool piece of machinery that I am not requiring to be whisper quiet.
Me likey more sound (the right kind). So this wouldn't be a problem. One thing I liked about my 84 and this car....the sound! I have faith that the install will be done right. Just want to get a heads up on any "issues" before I go out and spend $1600.00. Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Mel,

My buddy recently purchased a 993 with LWF and he has stalling issues. However, I have not ruled out driver error. When I drive his car, the idle dips more than my DMF, but does not stall.

Honestly, I don't notice the performance difference between his non-varioram LWF car and my varioram DMF car. But I don't drive his car much. Oh, and the noise is a non-issue.

If you want to try the LWF, I think Adrienne has one. And if you are in Dallas, my buddy will certainly let you check it out.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:10 AM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Honestly, I don't notice the performance difference between his non-varioram LWF car and my varioram DMF car. But I don't drive his car much. Oh, and the noise is a non-issue.
I think you just made up mind for me brother. I want performance increases but not at the cost of even the smallest issues. My car drives great! Great sound and solid performance. I knew when I bought it my options for making it quicker were limited. I was just thinking I would do it and have better response. After the service manager here in SA told me about some issues it made me ask the questions. This site is awesome. Thanks everyone for the info. Keep it coming if there is anything left out.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 AM
speedbump2
Racer

Originally Posted by slider
I have the LWF and have known about the rattle forever, but I've never seen a post that discussed why the rattle.
The rattle is gear lash.
As each cylinder fires at idle, it sends pulses to the crankshaft. A heavy flywheel carries a fair amount of centrifugal force, so it tends to smooth out those pulses. A light-weight flywheel won't carry as much centrifugal force(one of the reasons they are so popular in high-performance applications), so it transfers those pulses straight to the gearbox. During each pulse, the gears that would normally be in contact with each other clack together, then slack off between pulses, then clack together again with the next pulse, ad infinitum.

Sometimes just raising the idle will calm the lash a little, but it would probably not eliminate it.

--Chuck--
Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I will throw my 2 cents in here.......I replaced my Dual Mass Flywheel (ie heavy) and standard clutch two and a half years ago and could not be happier.....but mine is a 97 so no stalling issues per se.

Plus:
1. Much quicker spool up in first gear, the lack of weight does make some difference in response. It probably makes no difference in 0-60 times but the car does feel much more responsive
2. I actually like the gear noise, its not meant to be an ultra quiet car - go buy a BMW if you want quiet

Minus:
1. Cost...unless something is wrong (need to replace clutch/flywheel) this is not a must do
2. You do have to be more careful when doing hill starts as you do not have the flywheel momentum to help the engine, so it is possible to stall here, or get very occasional clutch spin.

All in all, would I do it again face with the same choice when I had to replace my DMF....you betcha

Quick Reply: RS Flywheel rough idle