Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What would YOU do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my Black 97 NB Carrera and wondered the same.....since then......look at list in signature.....the thing that made the biggest difference......LFW and RS Clutch plus PSS9 suspension, although not as fast as some, she now spools up very fast and sticks to the road like glue......I am keeping this car for a long time......I just love her like no other car I have ever owned.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

"I just love her like no other car I have ever owned."

With good reason!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:04 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Hi Cactus, glad to see you got home safe n sound after your long romp on Sunday....as somebody from the UK (thats me and a few million others) might say, your car is the dogs bo**ocks......by the way that is a complement in case you dont know
Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Unless you're going on the track, and have a budget for expensive, light wheels, I wouldn't bother with the 18inch'ers. Heavy 18 inch wheels will make the car rough driving on the street, and drive less well at performance events. Just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have the best MY of a "Narrow body" US market Carrera. There will never be another. Why would you want to give that up for ~$2x,xxx?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

Sell it to me, cheap

Barring that, spend some time doing DE so you can learn what your limits are, then think about changing the car.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Definitely suspension first. Stock is junk. Is it on its original suspension? After living with a suspension with 150K miles of use it will feel like a new car.

Get a steering wheel and shift **** you really like. This is what you touch and see all the time.

Clear corners to replace the orange lights.

18" wheels. Heavier, maybe-but definitely look better.

RS splitter, rockers, and tail.

If you are into music at all, replace the stock system. It is poor, even for non-audiophiles (like me). Call Rod Birch for advice and components.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:49 PM
avidtest
Racer

As many others have suggested, get the suspension upgraded and go w/ an RS clutch light-weight flywheel combo. Those are the two best mods IMHO. And even though you don't currently track it, you may get bitten by the bug if you join the PCA and start doing autox at the stadium. You will then be grateful for the upgrades. I have never driven a 997, but I've been a passenger is a couple. Although it may be unfair to say, since I haven't actually driven one, I wasn't dazzled. I prefer the spartan interior of the 993 and earlier cars, the lighter weight and the smaller size. Here's something else to think about if you start AX'ing; even though the results may change dramatically when you get the same cars on a bigger track, on the tight tracks at the AX, there isn't a 996 or a 997 that beats my time, or those of several other 993 drivers that regularly show up (except for a certain GT2 that turns up from time to time). So far, not even the GT3 drivers can outrun us on the AX course. That may not be saying much because those cars aren't built for a tight track. However, before you go out and spend a bunch of money on a new car, be sure consider that you already have a killer car that perhaps just needs a few upgrades to give you the feeling you're looking for.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:20 PM
rusty993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got also got a stock 993NB, albeit with 100,000 miles less. When I start day-dreaming I can quickly get to 15K. There are functional mods like lowered suspension, RS mounts, LFW, short shift kit, roll bar and harness etc and then there are cosmetic mods like recaro pole positions in black leather with silver stitching, carbon fibre jewellry for the cabin, clear corners, european bumpers etc.

But the upgrade I would do first is to lower the car with new suspension, as this provides the foundation for all the other mods, be they functional or cosmetic. Ironically, if it was my weekend car the mod would already have been made. Many of the cosmetic mods can personalize your car to your own idea of what your Porsche should be like or maybe what you may have ordered if you were the first owner.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 PM
pezza
Racer

leave your current car stock, drive it and enjoy it, put all the money you would spend on mods in the bank in a savings account that earns interest, and then look at the 997c4s in 3 years time. At the current rate of depreciation on the new P cars you will have a good chunk towards a used 997, then have two 911's.

Old and New the best of both worlds.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm definitely keeping the car. I love it.

Even though the 997 was awesome to drive, I love my 993... it's so classic in looks and feel. I think my first upgrade is going to be the suspension and exhaust tips. Do you know if there are some exhaust tips for 993 like these:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...3354QQtcZphoto

Do any of you know a great place to get rock chips and bumper fixed in San Diego?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Default Calles Event is a Must Do for U....

Make sure you GO TO THE CALLAS event in Torrance on Dec. 1st!!! No question one of the best things you can do even if it's a tank of gas. That is the single event that turned me in to a 993 believer. You can probably hook up with a few other SD'ers and cruise up the 5 - 405 together.

Besides the great advice from Tony there will be several RL'ers there to compare war stories (but don't listen to all of them). I'll be at BW trying to catch Avidtest....and yes, after watching the History Channel Porsche 911 DVD today I've decided not to sell my car! (Geez, my wife said I'd never go through it!)
Old 11-21-2007, 09:42 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

David,

Thanks for the tip... I'll search for more info on the event. Are you going?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

For me, the list is as follows, somewhat listed in terms of priority:

1. Safety equip: fixed back seats (likely Recaro SPG Xl), Rollbar (DasSport), seat back brace (Brey Krause) , 6-point harness (Teamtech)
2. Suspension: PSS9s, RS sways, drop links, ERP camber plates, strut brace
3. Second wheel set: looking for used hollow turbo twists or '02 5-spoke powder coated black (or get lucky on a set of used Fikse's)
4. Performance: Rennsport chip, Aux oil cooler, brake ducts (Turbo s)
5. Comfort/drivability: RS steering wheel, new shift ****, Rennline perforated pedals & track mats
6. Bling: clear corners, bumperette delete, RS sideskirts

I've got about $10K to work with over the winter. Hoping to get the seats, rollbar, suspension, and second wheel set. taken care of with that amount. Am I dreaming?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope to be joining you folks soon.
I have been on the 911 section, my SC was destroyed by a drunk Harley driver who died. I can offer the following:

I had an '02 C4S, sport seats, no sunroof, tequipment rollbar and Schroth 6-points. Mufflers removed and straight pipes from the cats to the tips. I drove that thing for almost a year once a month on track. I have never been more at one with a car, but then I'm not stupid enough to think my performance on the track was as much me as the car's capabilities. It was a midlife crisis car, far more expensive than I should have had so I let it go.

I then found an immaculate '83 SC, and over 2.5 years poured new A/C equipment, carrera oil cooler, SSIs, M&K, etc etc etc to the point where the day before it got total'd, I felt 'I'm done'. It was a true classic, a real handful on track (only tracked it twice) but GOD was it fun. Once I settle with the insurance company, I've realized I really want a '95 993 C2. Less check engine crap than the newer ones, no sniff test required here so I MIGHT be able to remove the catalysts, or at least replace the stock mufflers.

Lower cost than C2S or C4S, pure, more liveable, more modern (I'll keep the Mini though) and for a while I will keep it stock. Now that you know your car, IMHO keep it, invest a bit more into improving some aspects of the car (these 993 gurus know it all, I don't know squat except that the 993 is the most beautiful 911 ever).

I drove my mechanic's 997 GT3RS, and it was like perfection, but that comes at a seriously high cost. If I could afford it, sure, I'd have a 997 GT3RS, but that's out of reach for most folks, certainly for me. This 2-owner local (all records at my shop) 993 C2 is the right combination of modern and classic. I'm looking forward to it, and unless you can afford a 997 as a no-brainer, keep your car.

My $.02

Quick Reply: What would YOU do?