remove the key from the shell

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:47 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remove the key from the shell

Hello:

I jsut bought the car and the shell on the key looks pretty beat up. I jsut order the shell form Pelican and i try to remove the metal part (key) from the shell, but unable to do it. Does anyone here know how to remove the key from the shell without breaking the key itself?

Also, is there anything else I have to concern about regarding to the program chip on the key. My car is 1995 993.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-20-2007, 12:38 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this out:
http://p-car.com/diy/key/
Old 11-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try using the search function and you should find the trick to getting it out easily. I smashed up the old plastic with pliers and then melted off the residual with a match.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:25 AM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

TLC, thanks, my key doesnt come with switch blade remote. The link u provide doesnt really help me get the key out of the shell. I would probably go with the other suggestion which mean i have to break the old shell and take out the metal key part and install it in the new housing. I would like to know whether 1995 993 comes with immobilizer on the key? Do I have to get the dealer reprogram once I remove the key out from the old housing? Sorry, i just got the car and am very new to 911 world, and I did chk the search, but I cant find it anywhere.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 AM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IIRC there is a small 'button' that is spring loaded on the side of the key...I think you need a small screwdriver to push this in then the top will pop off...i'll check when I am at home tonight...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it to a dealer and they will fix you up. I took mine to a local dealer and they did it for free.

Originally Posted by xcusemi
Hello:

I jsut bought the car and the shell on the key looks pretty beat up. I jsut order the shell form Pelican and i try to remove the metal part (key) from the shell, but unable to do it. Does anyone here know how to remove the key from the shell without breaking the key itself?

Also, is there anything else I have to concern about regarding to the program chip on the key. My car is 1995 993.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-20-2007, 11:52 AM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Again, thank you all for your time to response. Lee, I did what you mention regarding to spring inside the key and it pop right out. Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply: remove the key from the shell