Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Sale: 1997 Carrera S white/black 24K miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 PM
PDX Tim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was pretty sad watching her drive off today knowing I will never see her again, but I came to grips with my decision over the weekend. I had a buyer fly down on Friday. I was sure he was going to buy the car. He was pretty sure too, he worked at Porsche years ago. He loved the car, loved the color, seemed to love everything about the car. He brought a check with him for the full asking price. He is a desinger and a car guy. Exactly the buyer I was hoping for. Someone who really appreciated the car. Then we went for a drive and decided the car was "not exciting" and "was trying to hard". I guess it had been a while since he had driven one. In the meantime, he has been driving a Shelby Cobra clone, so I think he was a little spoiled in the torque/power/speed department.

I was a bit sad on Saturday at not finding a good home for "Lulu", so I took the Z8 for a drive that ended up being 100+ miles, going to a friends house, driving my Alfa, and then driving my friend's Miura SV. It turned out to be a great car day, and my 993 was not involved. I love driving the Z8. It has so much more power on demand than the 993, and I think the sacrifice in handling is small if any. I'm not as in touch with the Z8 as I was with the 993, so time will tell if the car handles as well as the 993 for me. But the added power is not scary. It seems to be a fairly easy car to drive well. Maybe even more so than the 993. I realized how easy these German cars are to drive well when I hopped in my friend's Miura. That car would take me thousands of miles to drive it well, and even then I would still not be able to drive it as well as my 993, or my Z8 in my first few hundred miles in those cars. We are all lucky to be driving such well built, easy to drive cars.

A few more thoughts on the Z8. The open top makes a huge difference. I'm sure you cab guys know what I am talking about. I drove the Z8 with the hardtop on for the first week or so. Although I think the hardtop looks pretty good on the car, I think the car is drop dead gorgeous with the top down. It also feels so fun to drive. The car was well thought out. I love the simple controls, like in the 993. The fit and finish of the interior is much better than my 993, but I did not have full leather in the Porsche.

I'm sure I will miss going to the garage and not seeing the beautiful lines of the widebodied 993. I'm sure it will hurt a little every time I see one on the road. I am sorry I won't be waving or flashing 993s anymore. Hopefully when I see them, I'll be in the Z8 and it will hurt a little less.

Originally Posted by ARM993
Congrats on the sale! That Z8 sure is a nice car. But I bet you will have a touch of 993 sellers remorse when she leaves the garage. I get it every time I see one pass me which thankfully isn't much this time of year in OH. Sorry, I digress. Enjoy that new BMW and maybe share some more on driving comparisons as you've had some seat time. I know they are apples and oranges but car guys love all cool sports cars. Have fun.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:47 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bye Bye, Lulu... you'll be missed!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so where did this car go, if you dont mind me asking? there is one very similar at Truspeedmotorcars, just curious if that is where it ended up?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 PM
PDX Tim
Instructor

I sold the car to Truspeed. Turns out, they were the only serious buyer. They paid me $52K. I think they are asking $59,900.

Did you sell your car recently? Miles? Price?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any pictures of the Miura SV? Those a sweet looking cars...
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 AM
PDX Tim
Instructor

I only had my phone with me, so the quality isn't great.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:32 AM
PDX Tim
Instructor

couple more:

Old 03-11-2008, 12:42 AM
PDX Tim
Instructor

Since I'm in the photo posting mood now...

Short lived stablemates:

The Z8 on Angeles Crest Highway
Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX Tim
I sold the car to Truspeed. Turns out, they were the only serious buyer. They paid me $52K. I think they are asking $59,900.

Did you sell your car recently? Miles? Price?
that's a very good price, especially from a reseller.
good job.

and the Z8 is stunning.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:35 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats. They are beautiful cars. Z8 is a great GT car with the top down and some long roads ahead.

A pic from the first day (put some miles on that bad boy in one week!)

Old 03-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks! Love the lines of the Miura, the Z8 has some great lines as well. Congrats!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
PDX Tim
Instructor

The lines of the Miura are so sexy. It makes the Z8 look pedestrian when they are parked side by side with the top up. The Z8 gains back some dignity when the top comes down.

Quick Reply: For Sale: 1997 Carrera S white/black 24K miles