Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New Teenage Driver and the 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:44 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but if you have to pay for your daughter to drive the car, why not teach her how? Some of the best things I can remember are that I taught 3 of my friends to drive on my 1997 Jetta when I was younger [2 of the 3 have manual cars now] and I never replaced the clutch in 115K miles.

Playing devil's advocate, but I think that if you love cars, driving and everything involved with it, it could be a great experience to teach your daughter to drive on your car...worst thing to happen would be a $1500 clutch job. Best thing would be a great bonding experience and teaching your flesh and blood the great things about cars and why a 13 year old car is worth more to many of us than a brand new one....

-Just thinking aloud, I'm nowhere near the position to consider this situation myself yet-
Old 12-18-2007, 11:47 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Reminds me of about 20 years ago when I would take out the teenage daughter of one of my PCA friends out to the yet-to-be developed subdivisions around Phoenix to practice with a manual transmission in my old '68 2.7RS engines 930/IROC wannabe. We always figured the 901 was easier than his 915 equipped car. Hydraulic actuation and G50's on our "new" cars are a snap.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:33 AM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an option that worked for me.

problem.... Two Step Teens 10 + cars....To top it off my Wife has 2 tickets over 20 mph's.

My classic car carrier got a hold of my new wifes driving record.... Cancelled!!!

Oregon Law states that all members of the family be listed on all cars... over $10k more to add the entire family to the all the cars....

Solution..... Started my own LLC. ( Limited Liability Company )

All sports cars/ classics are in the name of the LLC. the wife is not covered and cannot drive them. Her car is in her business name. The kids cars are on a seperate policy.

If the step kids stepped foot in one of my cars that would be the straw that broke the Camel's back....
Thank God they cannot drive a stick... The 17 year old wants to learn.... I have been avoiding the issue.... The parties at the house are bad enough... I could not sleep if I new she could possibly drive one of my cars.... I would have to lock up the key's and add a security gaurd to the hangar...

Good luck. If you look hard enough you will find a solution... If it is not the law in your state to include all the drivers, you need to change carriers or at the least agents...
Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Jay Karolyi

You say your wife doesn't want to change policies...she doesn't have to! Just insure the 993 separate from the Lexi (Lexus plural Call Haggerty, Leland West or Sneed (my choice) for an agreed value policy. The rates will likely be less than you pay now for the 993...that should make your wife happy. Don't let her talk you into selling that 993...it will make you a bitter man.

Quick Reply: New Teenage Driver and the 993