993 Forum 1995-1998

New Teenage Driver and the 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:38 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek_C
My theory is that if a teenager loves the vehicle they are driving than it is the wrong vehicle for them.

oh & princeton & terry i did the used mb thing too...
Old 11-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek_C
My theory is that if a teenager loves the vehicle they are driving than it is the wrong vehicle for them.
No way! My first car was a 1970 BMW 2002 in 1988 and it cost $800. My parents always asked me if they could drive it.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 PM
hddude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
My 15 1/2 daughter has gotten her temps and will now be driving. We have three cars (the 993, 2000 Lexus LX470, and 2002 Lexus GX470). The daughter will learn with one of the trucks but at some point over the next year or so we will probably get her a car or small SUV.

My wife, in speaking with our Insurance company (Progressive),is telling me that the daughter must be listed as an occasion driver of the 993 since it is one of the cars listed in the policy. This despite the fact that I will never allow her to drive it.

Do any of you with teenage drivers have this problem with your p-car?

Rob
I have a policy for my Porsche with my wife and I as the only drivers. Kids are excluded as drivers. I have a second policy from another company for my other cars and the kids are listed on that policy. I may have sold my Porsche if I hadn't been able to do this. Of course, policies vary by state even within the same company so you may not be able to do this where you live. Ask around. Some companies let you split the cars onto two different companies' policies; many others won't allow it.

P.S. As far as the risk of kids "stealing" the Porsche, none of them can drive a stick and none of them even cares about the car anyway. But I realize there is always a risk when they are specifically excluded from coverage.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 390 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I will work with the insurance company (and the wife).

Who Dey - even though it has been a tough year - Go Bengals!

Rob

The one in the middle is the "problem"
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had to include my 16 year old son on my policy since it was in the household-no getting around it. My ins co says it was a TN state regulation.

Since I had to list him, I taught him to drive it and we took a 100 mile road trip one weekend where he did most of the driving.

chuck
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

I do exactly what Rick Betterley describes. Every year my wife and I sign a form from the insurance co(AMICA) that states she will never drive the car. Premiums adjusted accordingly(thank god). Wife doesn't complain at all; never learned to drive a stick.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:01 AM
wayne993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are crazy.

If your daughter drives the car and hurts someone, you and your daughter will face financial ruin.
You'll be so screwed you'll be able to kiss all your dreams for your life goodbye. Your daughter will
be able to also. And so will the person hurt.

And guess what - these web pages could become evidence in a court case about how you
neglected advice to buy insurance and instead decided it was better to protect yourself with a letter.
Signed by a 15-year-old. Who is related to you. Man that would suck.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne993
You guys are crazy.

If your daughter drives the car and hurts someone, you and your daughter will face financial ruin.
You'll be so screwed you'll be able to kiss all your dreams for your life goodbye. Your daughter will

And guess what - these web pages could become evidence in a court case about how you
neglected advice to buy insurance and instead decided it was better to protect yourself with a letter.
I don't know. Maybe it is crazy to throw your money away to insurance companies.

Why insure something that isn't ever going to happen. She can't/wouldn't be able to drive a stick and if a friend happens to take it out, then having insurance on my daughter isn't going to help that situation.

Risk and the need for insurance has some people so scared that they over insure. The funny thing is, sometimes even having insurance is no guarantee that you will get paid or covered.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
She can't/wouldn't be able to drive a stick and if a friend happens to take it out, then having insurance on my daughter isn't going to help that situation.
I hope you at least have it insured against theft. If anyone ever took my 993 anywhere without my having given them the keys, I would call it in to the cops as a stolen car and press charges, do whatever I could to make sure the perp paid dearly.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:04 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne993
You guys are crazy.

Hi Wayne
Crazy? Maybe - I'll make that decision myself.
Its likely that I know my kids better than you do (stop laughing; I know none of us really know our kids; just think of the things we did when young and stupid).
I recognize that there is a chance this could go wrong but decided to take that chance.
after all, risk management is my calling.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My son was 16 when I bought my 993tt - he's now 17.5. His 16th birthday present was a 2-day Skip Barber driving school. He was driving a 500hp Viper around cones before i ever got behind the wheel of anything with > 350 hp. I may have an aberration, but my son is pretty trustworthy and knows that if he makes a bad choice or gives in to that "wonderful" teen perr pressure with regards to cars, they will be a BIG price to pay with me, not to mention the possibility of Johnny Law. In my mind, the best defense is to teach our kids to drive (all the while doing our best to instill a sense of right/wrong and responsibility - yeah - that's an easy one!! )

Anyway, on to the subject at hand. The boy drives an 88 BMW 535is - stock as far as the motor but with an improved suspension. It's bright red and he knows that everyone, including the "po-po" as he puts it, sees him on the road. State Farm took his decent grades and drivers training into account and didn't murder me on his insurance. So I buy the tt. Call State Farm (this is CA, btw) with no uncertain amount of dread. Insurance for the tt is the same as my 05 F-350. ARE YOU SURE??? OK, OK - now tell me (I say to my agent) - this DOESN'T include my son, right? Nope, he's included in the cost! Wow. My message is this - as many others have said, it's a big risk NOT to insure the kids on the P-car, so before you make the decision - ask your agent for the $$ - it may surprise you as much as me.

Now - just to show you all how whacked I really am, I made a deal with the kid that if he brought all of his grades up to a "B" or better by finals last year (Junior in HS) - he could drive the tt to school on the last day. (Note he had already logged a 150 miles or so behind the wheel with me in the right seat.) Some of the grades had to go up a couple letters just to make the cut. The bugger did it! So, true to my word, I watched the wide tail of my tt go up the drive last June. And true to his word, the car was home right after school, no dings, dents, or bad stories (some pretty funny ones though - a few kids really believed that my kid had a "new" car - HAH!)

Sometimes our kids (pleasantly) surprise us. So do our insurance companies (which for me is harder to believe).
Old 12-06-2007, 03:53 PM
srm_993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My oldest daughter is 14 - less than a year from getting her learner's permit (not that this means she will have ANY access whatsoever to my car keys). I haven't spoken to our insurance company yet, but I know that discussion is coming...hopefully, we can get her on another vehicle.

Three words to help bridge the gap - UMBRELLA LIABILITY POLICY. Protection for your net worth in the event of a catastrophe. It will require that you carry primary insurance (auto, home, boat, etc), but it backstops your liability in the event some "victim" decides to see what they can get out of you. Anyone with significant net worth should carry this kind of coverage.

Rates are really quite affordable, in my view. YMMV

(Edit/clarification - Umbrella Liability policy will not "cover" your offspring to drive your car, as your auto policy would. It might, however, come in handy should your keys find their way into "the boyfriend's" hands)

Last edited by srm_993; 12-06-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Clarifying coverage provided by umbrella policy
Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
sigf
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

When I got my 993, I added my two teens to my policy at marginal additional cost. Both get to drive the 993 with me in the passenger seat. When they get to drive, it is a special moment that they value. I don't want to deny them the opportunity. Both of them completed numerous teen DE schools as well and are better drivers than most persons on the road. They share a modified VW1.8T as a daily driver that is nimble and quick as well. They like the 993 because it is more "primal"... just like how their dad thinks.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my sons 15th birthday I got him a total wreck 1962 VW from the local junk yard. Towed it home and put it in the garage and told him that was his present. Also told him if he wanted his drivers license on his 16th birthday he would have to spend the next year getting the VW ready to run and pass inspection. He would also need to get a job to pay for whatever the VW needed to be fixed. I said if he did that then on his 16th birthday he would be free to go and trade it on another car. An amazing thing happened, he started working on the car, got a part time job, fixed the car himself and on his 16th was so attached to the car that he refused to get rid of it. It also had the additional benefits of him learning about mechanics, he rebuilt the engine and transmission, re-wired it and became an expert on sheetmetal repair. Also developed a work ethic and believe me when other kids were beating the crap out of the cars that were bought for them or their parents car, my son worshiped his vehicle.

Three years later when second kid was 15 I went back to the same junkyard and told them I wanted another junker but it better be in worse shape than the previous one!!! The guy looked at me like I was nuts!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I had to provide a notarized statement that my 17 year old newly licensed daughter would not drive the 993 before they would let me put her on my policy.

Quick Reply: New Teenage Driver and the 993